Security Installer Community

Co-ax Or Cat5e?

cslsecurity

I am new to this forum so apologies if i have duplicated an entry..

I normally use co-ax for long runs and cat5e when I do an install with short runs.

But i recently read an article saying cat5e is far superior both on distance and quality when compared to co-ax?

does anyone have a definitive answer?

Its not as simple as which is better, considering 300mtrs is roughly max for colour over rg59 (you can get it to go further) whereas CAT5 is good for far further with acive baluns.

Having said that both coax and cat 5 will be fine over short runs, but 20 cameras is a lot of coax not so much cat5.

For me it comes down to the needs of the installation, costs, time saved etc

RG59 is rated for 267m, yeah you can get further with amps, but I only rate it for 250m (check the signal on a scope).

I agree with ian.cant, cat5 will do the same job at this distance, but is much easier to cable.

n

I am new to this forum so apologies if i have duplicated an entry..

I normally use co-ax for long runs and cat5e when I do an install with short runs.

But i recently read an article saying cat5e is far superior both on distance and quality when compared to co-ax?

does anyone have a definitive answer?

Yes. I would generally practice the opposite. Cat 5 for long and coax for short. Strange but, I still feel like i'm cheating using cat 5 but it it works so well for us, sending the alarm back on the same cable and data down on another pair. Normally stick an active hub in to amp all the pictures to the correct level.

Yes. I would generally practice the opposite. Cat 5 for long and coax for short. Strange but, I still feel like i'm cheating using cat 5 but it it works so well for us, sending the alarm back on the same cable and data down on another pair. Normally stick an active hub in to amp all the pictures to the correct level.

I would check both of these on an osilliscope before deciding.

n

We install big sites and run cat 5 with balun at one side and powered receive at other and all has been very good. Cable runs are between 600 and 1300mtrs.

Short runs we use coax and bgger runs its CT125.

Just depends on what you require but all cable for different runs works.......its just how far you need to go.

!

Not in the Uk, most installers wouldnt know what to do with a scope, i would estimate 10% might do!

That sounds generous, anyone can get a display - its interpreting what its telling you thats important.

From what I've seen, 75% of your 10% would be as well off with a video level meter.

Dont need to know so often these days though TBH.

Dont need to know so often these days though TBH.

To be fair we dont, cant remember the last time i would have thought about it even.

Tavcom courses are good but they aint cheap (i know ive been on one) and the average person would find it difficult to fund them.

Archived