Security Installer Community

Usb Oscilloscope For Eas Gate Tuning

georgahti

8.2MHz gates (crosspoint).

i have now 30MS/s 12MHz analogue bandwidth scope but for some reason it doesn't seem to be fast enough. have been thinking of USB scope as i'll anyyways have my laptop with me and then it is easier to also save possible interference levels on site for later use.

so if anyone has any suggestions i'd be grateful..

If you want to read up on the specs for EAS systems to try and figure out what you need have a look here.

EAS stuff

30Ms/s sounds a bit slow? Is it a handheld scope?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

If you want to read up on the specs for EAS systems to try and figure out what you need have a look here.

EAS stuff

yes - i am too old to carry stationary scopes with me..

EAS stuff

in practise the newer gates we install are all computer programmable. including the TX and RX antennae tuning.

there still though exists older models that needs oscilloscopes attention.. and there still will be for some time. not going to invest 3k. more likely <300..

yes - i am too old to carry stationary scopes with me..

in practise the newer gates we install are all computer programmable. including the TX and RX antennae tuning.

there still though exists older models that needs oscilloscopes attention.. and there still will be for some time. not going to invest 3k. more likely <300..

What measurements do you need to make? If it's just RF tuning then a scope can use a RF probe to improve things a lot?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Amateur Radio Forum

WHAT!!!

Aren't you afraid they'll open when someone's doorbell rings! :lol:

LOL

they are called gates eventhough there is only Tx and Rx antenna on the both sides of the walk way. next time you decide to visit a town you'll probably see an EAS "gate" in a local super market. you know the thing that starts beeping at the exit during the rush hour delaying every decent people for at least half an hour?

anyways - i am not afraid of doorbells BUT i am afraid of metal frame doors, fluorescent lights, power lines, trams, freq shifters, el motors, ham radio, radio, etc because they all affect RF based systems.

What measurements do you need to make? If it's just RF tuning then a scope can use a RF probe to improve things a lot?

i need to measure that TX is sending 8.2MHz base freq, sweep freq froom 128 to 185Hz and RX gets as pure sinewave as possible.

LOL

they are called gates eventhough there is only Tx and Rx antenna on the both sides of the walk way. next time you decide to visit a town you'll probably see an EAS "gate" in a local super market. you know the thing that starts beeping at the exit during the rush hour delaying every decent people for at least half an hour?

anyways - i am not afraid of doorbells BUT i am afraid of metal frame doors, fluorescent lights, power lines, trams, freq shifters, el motors, ham radio, radio, etc because they all affect RF based systems.

i need to measure that TX is sending 8.2MHz base freq, sweep freq froom 128 to 185Hz and RX gets as pure sinewave as possible.

You need a handheld spectrum analyser!

Website

My Amateur Radio Forum

Archived