Security Installer Community

Switching From Adpro To Ds2

justin

Hi.

We normally use Adpro Fasttrace units for remote monitored sites with primary comms over IP via Adpro router and backup via PSTN via an Adpro modem. On our next install the customer would like reception to have control of the cameras through the day on a dedicated monitor. We were toying with the idea of fitting a simple DVR with keyboard facility alongside the Adpro but as the cost increases I am sure we need to go down the DM's DS2 route and fit the one unit.

I used to fit alot of the older model DS'2 but not installed their current one. As I understand this one unit will now do all.

So a few questions if you may:

Will I be able to use a standard Netgear ADSL router? I have used these in the past for Adpros and needed to alter the MTU rate to get the audio to work correctly. Would any changes need to be made for the DS2?

The Adpro used a range of ports to be forwarded. Does the DS2 just use a single port?

Like Adpro do DM offer a modem that will work out of the box for the backup over PSTN? Can it have this backup?

Is it going to be as solid remoteley as we are generally used to with Adpro?

Can we change and input text in the remote control of relays ie 'Main gate'...' Shutter'?

Basically will it do all the Adpro will and also give me that onsite flexibility of a normal DVR?

To be honest any help or advice would be much appriciated.

Thanks in advance.

customer would like reception to have control of the cameras through the day

Its slightly aside from your question but it made me think of another question.

Does this not then require the operator to have an SIA licence, i dont know the answer but some woman tried to tell me all camera operators need this and i wasnt sure where the line is drawn to the not required mark.

I dont know the answers to your questions but i would guess Norbain Tech would.

non ot if they are employed by the site.

However i wouldnt come away from adpro for transmission as nothing else IMO comes close. ANd i do rate DM but not as a transmitter. Speak to your arc operators they will ove appro and hate dm. Which one they gonna prioritise?

Anyway to get onsite control use say pelco domes and add a pelco keyboard for control.

Or use a pc and load video central lite

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Thanks for the replies.

When a say reception want to operate cameras I do just mean they will generally just want to spin a dome around the carpark to check for free spaces for visitors as they sign in and not much more. Centrel lite will be on one PC in the security office. Don't want another PC sat at recption just for the cameras, central lite can't compare with a DVR's dedicated monitor and keyboard and, I would be faced with Central lites port forwarding issues as I am sure the reception PC is on the same router as the security offices PC. From what I understand ports can only be forwarded to one PC on a single ADSL connection. This so far has been main gripe with Adpro.

Taken onboard though Redbull. Many thanks. Will maybe stay with the Fastrace and fit another DVR. Just the keyboard idea is fair enough, but I would like a multiscreen on the monitor aswell so I will have the display issue. I guess I might just need a keyboard controlled matrix then will I?.......... Not sure whats out there these days.

When a say reception want to operate cameras I do just mean they will generally just want to spin a dome around the carpark to check for free spaces for visitors as they sign in and not much more.

Maybe I missed something but it seems that they only need access to live images and not recordings. Can you use a multiplexer or similar and additional controller instead of installing an additional DVR?

if you have the pc's on the same subnet (ie locally plugged in to the router) then no port forwarding is req, that is only needed for remote connections.

Adpro Fastrace is the only DVR I have ever come across that needs the ports forwarding at the viewing end as well as the site. If you have managed to get 2 PC's with different local addresses to view the same Fastrace on the same network then I must speak to Adpro tech guy again as they inform me it is not possible.

Maybe I missed something but it seems that they only need access to live images and not recordings. Can you use a multiplexer or similar and additional controller instead of installing an additional DVR?

Yeh. Do you have any suggestions of which mux and keyboard to use. I will be using pelco P 9600 protacol.

Yeh. Do you have any suggestions of which mux and keyboard to use. I will be using pelco P 9600 protacol.

Mulitplexers are hard to get these days but are available from the usual sources (Norbain, Videcon, etc), as you will not need sync to VCR capabilities these can be got quite cheaply and much cheaper than an additional DVR. Likewise the vast majority of keyboards support Pelco P protocol but I would look for one that is mated to the Cameras you are using, if not bringing up camera menus and going to presets can be a bit laborious.

On the mux side, check to ensure they have live view on split screen, single camera view should be live but some mux do not do live (25fps per camera) on split.

Archived