Security Installer Community

Employment Law Changes

A-G

Is everyone aware of the new employment rules which come into force next month? These are some of the new bits:

Employment Law of the Land: The key changes (in brief) are as follows:

PM me for access to the SSAIB members discussion area.

we put an advert in the job centre last week for a trainee engineer and stated over 21 only, we had to fill out an age discrimination form. Its not us who states the age but the insurance company for the vehicles..... the worlds gone bananas.

Lee Sutton

E-Mail: leesutton@centurianfire.co.uk

Phone: 0845 094 9870

CENTURIAN FIRE & SECURITY (part of centurian group limited)

we put an advert in the job centre last week for a trainee engineer and stated over 21 only, we had to fill out an age discrimination form. Its not us who states the age but the insurance company for the vehicles..... the worlds gone bananas.

Strange but true, small employers are not allowed to discriminate on the basis of age yet large insurance companies can?

The world has gone mad.

stated over 21 only, we had to fill out an age discrimination form.

That seems eminently reasonable.

There was a (valid?) reason; you explained it.

More interestingly is how the insurers justify it, I would have thought something based on years of driving experience and claims history would make more sense. :whistle:

Edit: I see lawandorder thinks like me...

Repeal of current statutory dispute resolution procedures

The Employment Act 2008 has now received Royal Assent, and will repeal the current statutory dispute resolution procedures. The changes will come into force in April.

Both the statutory dismissal procedures and grievance procedures will go. Employers will be encouraged to comply with the newly revamped ACAS Code of Practice on Disciplinary and Grievance Procedures. Tribunals will have regard to the Code when hearing cases involving disciplinary and grievance issues.

This one should be fun.

I notice the wording says 'Employers will be encouraged to comply...'

So that makes things nice and clear, no grey areas. Ye Gods

Things are very different in the Middle East, I had a job interview in Qatar in December and there were newspapers in the hotel room.

I was reading the recruitment pages which were littered with adverts like "receptionist wanted, must be attractive" "accountant required (male)" etc.

Things are very different in the Middle East, I had a job interview in Qatar in December and there were newspapers in the hotel room.

I was reading the recruitment pages which were littered with adverts like "receptionist wanted, must be attractive" "accountant required (male)" etc.

Too right. Bad for business having some witch sat there. :whistle:

Re the insurance point:

Its the actuaries duty to balance the risks against whats in the pot via premiums & investments etc.

Dont women get cheaper premiums cos they are less likey to have costly accidents. (said costly cos dents & scratches can relatively be covered by excess).

Where as boy racers etc.

Moot point though : pensions.

Shouldnt mens annuity be greater as they dont live as long?

Archived