Security Installer Community

Replacing Defunct System

EB2

Hi to all

I have a very old ATG MX48 alarm system but need to replace the panel as OH entered wrong code and engineer who fitted it is dead, so we have no engineer code and no living engineer I've contacted knows anything about such an antiquated system everything is there and was working, just need to replace the actual panel, possibly add a keypad as the MX is all in one, and change 4 sensors for pet enabled sensors any ideas on easy fit systems that can accomadate 4 sensors and 2 PA s and with the ability to add on later if ness,

EB2

Hi to all

I have a very old ATG MX48 alarm system but need to replace the panel as OH entered wrong code and engineer who fitted it is dead, so we have no engineer code and no living engineer I've contacted knows anything about such an antiquated system everything is there and was working, just need to replace the actual panel, possibly add a keypad as the MX is all in one, and change 4 sensors for pet enabled sensors any ideas on easy fit systems that can accomadate 4 sensors and 2 PA s and with the ability to add on later if ness,

EB2

Tell them it's the forerunner to the Scantronic 9100 and for defaulting and re-programming, use the 9100 manual, or, get a new system!

Someone told me I was ignorant and apathetic, I don't know what that means, nor do I care.

Tell them it's the forerunner to the Scantronic 9100 and for defaulting and re-programming, use the 9100 manual, or, get a new system!

Agreed, phone some local companies and tell them its a 9100.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Guest RJBsec

Why does everyone keep trying to rescucitate the 9100's?

Let them die off peacefully - customer can't even change codes without calling an engineer!

Why does everyone keep trying to rescucitate the 9100's?

Let them die off peacefully - customer can't even change codes without calling an engineer!

I'd forgotten about that but you're dead right! Funny really, the user could change codes an 9200s, 9500s, 9800s, 9600s but not 9100, wonder what the logic was behind that engineering decision?

I used to work on Regalsafe RS50s and 100s which were basically similar specced panels and users could change codes on these.

Guest RJBsec
wonder what the logic was behind that engineering decision?

I think that you will find that the 9100 was originated for one of the Nationals (Modern?) and it was just an additional revenue-raising 'fix'.

I'd forgotten about that but you're dead right! Funny really, the user could change codes an 9200s, 9500s, 9800s, 9600s but not 9100, wonder what the logic was behind that engineering decision?

Ah, don't know anything about the programming of 'chips' by the manufactures, but I understand the code change facility was left off because there was not 'enough room' left to have it included on what ever was being used :rolleyes:

Someone told me I was ignorant and apathetic, I don't know what that means, nor do I care.

may i suggest if you changing the panel, that you also bring the outside sounder up to date also. a local company would advice you of all the new regs.

Kevin Scott. Owner of KK Alarms...... Installation .. Service .. Repair ...... Thoughout.. Northumberland and North Tyneside ..... Tel:01670 361948 (call diverted after 15 seconds) or 07947444114

Guest old-hand
I used to work on Regalsafe RS50s and 100s which were basically similar specced panels and users could change codes on these.

They were nothing like a 9100, c##p springs to mind.

cheers

They were nothing like a 9100, c##p springs to mind.

cheers

Well to be fair I only said they were similar in spec (ie, ammount of zones and features). Having said that the 100 didn't have an event log like the 9100 or an NVM but I found them easy to program, having said that we did work on them most of the time.

RS50's and 100's must be two of the hardest panels i have ever had to program..

Lol, the RS100 had 'some' logic to its programming. But the RS50 with its silly tones to tell which bit you was programming was mad :)

Technical Manager

NSI/LPC Approved Alarm Receiving Centre

South Manchester

Ye Gads yes.

Difficult panels - definitely the RS50, RS100, RS125 - Regalsafe, wasn't it the 100 that was programmed using a cardboard template to tell you what the led grid actually meant......

Who remembers the old Tunstall CPA6 (or Munford and White if you're really old)......or the Castle Omega 5 - how many revisions of firmware did that have.....

Mind, the Santronic 9500 was a bag of fu...n too - cyclical menus, and you could lay odds that you'd miss the one you wanted.

The thing that's always made me laugh since the advent of "texting up" circuits on LCD panels is the number of "dinning" rooms I've come across - presumably very loud rooms, where not much eating takes place......either that or its the room in the house where the old boy gets lucky once in a year or so.......

Hmm. Sometimes the industry really does seem broken these days.

RS50's and 100's must be two of the hardest panels i have ever had to program..

As everyone has said - it is a 9100 in Modern Alarms clothing. It had a different front cover, and different coloured keys to the mainstream 9100 - green and brown I seem to remember - as opposed to the Orange and Brown of the "real" 9100.

They're easy enough to default if you can get hold of a manual - but pretty well any engineer over the age of late thirties should be able to do that one in his head.

The reason that the sub couldn't change the code themselves on the 9100 was twofold - no room on the ROM for the customer option, and two, wasn't financial, but security - it was felt if an engineer had to change the code it would be more secure, as customers could not inadvertently change the code and forget it. That said, if I had a quid for every 9100 or MX48 I've seen that had the engineer code written on it somewhere, or even the user code......

As people have also said, depending upon your need, change it for something newer - pretty well any panel on the market will do it, and pet friendly PIRs are ten a penny too these days.

Bill.

Hi to all

EB2

Bill

Accord Fire & Security Services Ltd.

www.accordfire.co.uk ~ TEL: 0845 474 5839

Guest RJBsec
Who remembers the old Tunstall CPA6 (or Munford and White if you're really old)......or the Castle Omega 5 - how many revisions of firmware did that have.....

Mind, the Santronic 9500 was a bag of fu...n too - cyclical menus, and you could lay odds that you'd miss the one you wanted.

Remember them all - inc the 2 zone LEC's for the M&W CPA6 :whistle:

The reason that the sub couldn't change the code themselves on the 9100 ...... wasn't financial, but security -

Pull the other one!

Pull the other one!

I remember the CPA6, I remeber being amazed at the fact that it was the first panel I had seen where the entry/exit time could actually be programmed to the second.

Prior to that you just had a pot which you twisted with a credriver until you got it about right.

There were various versions of software, Honeywell had their own, which was used on Iceland installtions.

Pull the other one!

They were ZEMs (Zone Expansion Modules) not LECs :rolleyes:

The CPA6 was also my first foray into eol wiring, bit before it's time.

Me too.. It was fun fault finding on them. Steep learning curve. (I was still servicing some systems with end of line batts at the time n thought "this is the future").

Me too.. It was fun fault finding on them. Steep learning curve. (I was still servicing some systems with end of line batts at the time n thought "this is the future").

Blimey, how old are you? lol

End of line batteries are before even my time!

I wonder who it was that thought "hang on, why don't we just use four core then we can put the end of line batteries in the panel. (metaphrically speaking)

Blimey, how old are you? lol

End of line batteries are before even my time!

I wonder who it was that thought "hang on, why don't we just use four core then we can put the end of line batteries in the panel. (metaphrically speaking)

LOL. Said servicing - not fitting!!

2 x 1.5v flag cells in a box, 1 leg earth, 1 wire back to a slugged relay. Wern't even a pair of wires!

I even serviced a "record player" - rubber band, needle on record, solenoid let go of rubber band on trigger and "played" recorded message down line. Them days was - local bells, remote bells (down nick) & voice to operator.

No not old, 25 next month.

LOL. Said servicing - not fitting!!

2 x 1.5v flag cells in a box, 1 leg earth, 1 wire back to a slugged relay. Wern't even a pair of wires!

I even serviced a "record player" - rubber band, needle on record, solenoid let go of rubber band on trigger and "played" recorded message down line. Them days was - local bells, remote bells (down nick) & voice to operator.

No not old, 25 next month.

25?

I must admit you have seen a lot for your age, I started working with alarms when I was 17 in 1980 (roughly) and although I have seen record players (and removed a few) my earliest installs were 999ers with 8 track cartridges.

Also worked a lot on private wires (direct line to the local nick), in fact it was my job to remove our home office panels from all the nicks on my patch when they became redundant (about 1987 I'm guessing).

Do you remeber the havoc that was caused when a Post Office engineer reversed a pair not realising it was a private wire? lol

Archived