Security Installer Community

What Blackberry Shall Get

jimmonty

wanna get a blackberry phone. does any recomend a model

cheers lads

Best of Blackberry if thats what floats yer boat is the Bold.

Still suffers from that crappy slippery nipple though. Expect to see it going back on warranty - regularly.

I have a Pearl 8120 on Orange and it is utterly fantastic.

The keyapd takes a little getting used to as it has only two letters on each key, rather than the three most phones have.

Everything it does, it just does - there's no mystery - it just does it well, possibly apart from MMS messaging, which I don't really use much anyway, but it seems a bit off the mark to me.

It does email exceptionally well, text messaging, phone calls. It does Facebook if that's your thing, it does photos, songs, movies (ish), internet browsing, Google maps, search, and can do (with some add on software) pdfs, word, excel, powerpoint docs right off the bat.

My "SO" got herself the Google phone - that T Mobile G1 thing, and it is a DOG! It doesn't do most of what the Blackberry does, and is soooo tied to Google it's unreal. It does googlemail, but not other email (not properly), can't do anything "office", and lasts about two minutes away from a charger - oh, and its blue tooth is "for audio only" - no file transfer at all!!!! What is that about?

She's now looking at the new Curve in favour of the Bold - the 8900 and that looks rather nice I have to say. I'd be seriously torn between the compact convenience of the Pearl or the full keyboard of the Curve 8900.....

Again, with the Pearl, it depends on your netowrk as to which Pearl they have. I liked the 8120 on Orange because it has, for me, an utterly killer feature - UMA. The Curve 8900 has UMA too. What is that? Well, how many times have you ever got a nice shiny new phone, only to find you get brilliant signal at a hundred miles an hour on the motorway, and absolutely none at home, where you really need it because its the out of hours number your customers have?

What UMA does is to piggy back your WiFi at home, and utlises VOIP onto your network carrier, whereupon it goes onto normal cellular traffic again - effectively giving you a 100% signal at home, even if there is no transmitter near enough - brilliant.

Someone makes the comment about sending it back under warranty a lot - can't say I've ever come across that on any Blackberry I've had - at least five company ones in the past, and my own now. Probably, I wouldn't go back to a "phone" now, after having had BB - it just makes perfect sense of the whole "PDA phone" arguement - gives what you need, when you need it, no hassle.

Battery life on my Pearl is pretty good too considering it has bluetooth on permanently, email when it arives (many every day), lots of phone time, and it just keeps going. Did I mention that it snychs with Outlook too easily. Apps can be added, at fairly reasonable cost too.

Bill.

wanna get a blackberry phone. does any recomend a model

cheers lads

Bill

Accord Fire & Security Services Ltd.

www.accordfire.co.uk ~ TEL: 0845 474 5839

Archived