Security Installer Community

Fitting Unswitched Fused Spurs For Alarm Systems

clivesorts

We can do domestic spurs but we are told not to touch commercial as its covered by a different law. I think its 'the electricity at work act' or something like that.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Guest old-hand
We have done the ACT course and are now buying a loop tester, we can then cert our spur's.

I did that too few yrs back, there is still confusion if it allows you to do the work if you read the regs. AGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

We have done the ACT course and are now buying a loop tester, we can then cert our spur's.

How's the spurs going? :whistle:

A couple of questions on this subject.

1. If you have passed a course on "Inspection,Testing & Certification of Minor Works" does this mean you can only fit spurs in domestic property's? or domestic and commercial?

2. If a double socket has been spurred of a ring main i understand it is not ok to connect a

fused spur from the double socket?

2a.The fused spur must be connected first then the double socket can be wired from the load side of the fused spur and there is no limit to the amount of sockets that can be connected after the fused spur?

2b. The reason for 2&2a is that the 2.5mm cable must be protected by no more than a 13amp fuse?

Any hints tips on fitting fused spurs would be appreciated as i am due to go on a course soon :fear:

• 3 months later...

We can do domestic spurs but we are told not to touch commercial as its covered by a different law. I think its 'the electricity at work act' or something like that.

i was led to believe you dont fit fused spurs in domestic propeties unless you are part p registered installer or you notify building control.

to my knowledge you dont have to be registered to work commercial or industrial.they say competent not "fully qualified" leaves it open really

scary!

Archived