Security Installer Community

how many zones?

Guest oddsocks

Guest MKAlarms
...forget the texecom rubbish and go with a nice Ademco (or should that be honeywell) panel...

Bellman,

I can't understand your comment. I much prefer the Premier panels to Honeywell. Have you used Premier panels before?

What is it about them you think is rubbish?

MikeR

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Mike,

I Have used Texecom equipment for quite some time (for the last 10 years in fact) starting from the very first veritas panels to the modern premier range so i'd consider myself versed in their use/install.

The words "Cheap" and "Rubbish" and "Unreliable" and "Tacky" spring to mind,

The Quality of the PCB is lacking and it badly mounts in the endstation, the end station itself deforms easily also unless on a COMPLETELY flat surface.

I've had problems with (in no particular order) transformers overheating and badly vibrating, Tamper switch problems, keypad buttons that fail repeatedly, as well as a host of other problems.

As well as the fact that every sparky/electrical wholesaler and their dog sell them so end users can get hold of them directly.

Hopefully things will be better now they have some of the menvier people onboard.

They are fine for the £199 fitted Brigade but sorry, I'd not touch em with a barge pole.

I would NOT put one on my house under any circumstances as I've had too many bad experiances with them. (perhaps i'm jaded by that)

I regularly replace them with proper proffessional pieces of equipment (Galaxy) that will stand the test of time and not let the customer down.

As for the premier (is that name supposed to make em sound as though they have some quality about them?) It's just a veritas with a LCD display and a few gimicky "Bells and whistles" good for showing off to customers but they'll soon get tired of those when it is false alarming every other day.

Look at the price differences between the "Entry level" type equipment (diy stuff and I include the texecom stuff in there) and proper proffesionaly installed stuff like the Galaxy range, Menvier range, Aritech range and the Scantronic range.

I think you will agree, there is a gulf of difference between them.

At the end of the day, you only get what you pay for, and as my grandfather used to say, Buy cheap, buy twice..

Just my opinion

Regards

Bellman

Service Engineer and all round nice bloke :-)

The views above are mine and NOT those of my employer.

I would definitely have a look at the Premier 24 (Texecom).

To add further fuel to the fire I'd suggest look is all you do then steer well clear.

As for the comments on "Wanting the best" then Texecom DEFINATLY isn't what you want.

May I ask if you used any of the Galaxy range?

Regards

Bellman

why not go for a pyronix matrix panel, they can expand by 8 zones at a time and the the panel has plug on for 8 zone expander, u can also get speech dialler module for panel. Gardners should sell it. they also have prox keypad/readers to add as well.

Keep it to BS though mate (or EN)

Chris

Trade Member

As Mr Kingswood said "Dont forget the 6 P's when installing.....Proper Preperation Prevents P*** Poor Performance!!!"

John Kingswood(alais Nobby), Paul Earl Ltd 1985-2006

why not go for a pyronix matrix panel

We're going from bad to worse here !!!! :o

Why not just put a piece of string across the doorway tied to some old baked bean cans, it's just about the same level of usefullness.... :o

Bellman's top 5 "RUBBISH" alarm panel vendors

1, A1, variously sold under several different brand names, had 2 of these catch fire...

2, Pyronix, such user unfriendlyness.

3, ADE, nice alarm if you want to fry batteries..

4, Advantor corp (Sonitrol), the most engineer unfriendly panels in existance!

5, Telecom Security, the old alarm side of BT, shocking panels

Regards

Bellman

I think you should definatley go with a Galaxy. The first time I saw one (10 years ago), I panicked..... Now I know the programming and there is enough assistance on this site to help you along if you need it. :blink:

Apart from the obvoius galaxy panels are incredibly flexible (See the Galaxy forum).

Thats my tuppence worth anyhow!?

cheers

Aron

Trade Member

Ive got an old bentley f133, series up all the pirs . But make sure theyre latching :lol:

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Bellman :lol::lol::lol:

How about the Omnicron 9000? Arrrrrrrrggggghhhh :o Think we still have 2 out there somewhere.

Galaxy I like very much, but for this chap I think a Gardtec 593 or similar for easy programming?

Chris Teague (Sales & Operations Manager) Sightguard Intruder Division

Covering the Isle of Wight: - Design, Installation, Maintenance & Takeover of Intruder Alarms, Fire Alarms & Equipment, CCTV, Access Control, Nursecall. Keyholding Service, Guarding & Cash in Transit. SSAIB & NICEIC Registered Tel 01983 884000 / 884440

Any comments / opinions posted could be the voices in my head speaking, but they are my opinion only and do not represent those of my employer or Company

How about the Omnicron 9000?

1, A1, variously sold under several different brand names, had 2 of these catch fire...

A1 made several x000 series panels, the 9000 was one of em :unsure:

Regards

Bellman

Think we still have 2 out there somewhere. 

Yeah, for all their cheapness, I still come accross these panels, more than a decade after they were made.

"Anti-quality" perhaps... :unsure:

Regards

Bellman

i like those panels!!!!!!!!!!!!!and the focus was a great bit of kit

Guest oddsocks

Not too worried about the programming as I have plenty of time, and theres plenty of help here it seems!

I was attracted to Texecom because there is a solution from one supplier, I need speech dialler with GSM backup, (to owner / keyholder).

There is no problem with cost of panel, the difference is small compared with cost of GSM module.

Can I get the same functionality from the galaxy and what else would I require/you recommend for the comms?

but I rarely get called out to them!!

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

i like those panels!!!!!!!!!!!!!and the focus was a great bit of kit

:lol::lol::lol:

You should be on stage Gaz,

You'd make a fortune :P

think about it tho,all these systems are exclusive to //.National Installer.// hence no one could take them over+the focus was top quality stuff even down to the contacts,the ones with //.National Installer.// stamped into them,(as the group 4 stuff,i mean who else had there own jb's made with their logo stamped into them)still going strong after 15yrs on a entry door!!!how many of the new stuff could manage that??

thats true!but when you do you know you're gonna have trouble <_<

Tell me about it :(

Regards

Bellman

Guest Affinity

gee another public airing :unsure:

Really do think it needs looking into that these sort of posting should only be in trade as i said on the other debate that is going on

Companies and products should not be pulled apart in public

Am I the onlyone that thinks this or do you agree ....keep it in the trade! or it will be moved by moderators!

Maybe the section should be trade and the other done as diy or something

the site has to look professional on the open forum. Again my opinion and no offence meant and again as I said on the other posting I am not viewing this as an installer and I am not biased to any company products as you know just giving my opinion ... I think both debates should be moved to trade....... over to you guys :D

Hi All,

Yeah, We do have some heated debates on here and perhaps this would be better in the trade section.....

Regards

Bellman

Healthy debate is good for everyone, providing it doesn't beome vicious and language is clean. It good to see people with different opinions and yes, there are times when they should be in the trade section. But we should also give the "public" credit to make there own minds up as to a products suitabillity for a job or not. If we debate behind closed doors, how will the public get a fair view point, is it not far better that they get to see the warts and all opinions and make a choice for themselves, especially when you see posts from guys who actually use these products day in day out.

If as mederators we see a post that contavenes the rules then yes we should act, but surley it is the post starters choice as to where a post should be, and indeed they aree also able to condiser their posts before making them, if a member dooesn't want the public to judge theire company by their post then dont make it in the first place.

Colin.

if a member dooesn't want the public to judge theire company by their post then dont make it in the first place.

Colin.

Disagree with you on that one,

The postings I make on here have nothing to do with the company I work for.

I'm here in my own time and they are my own personal views and opinions.

Regards

Bellman

To an extent Chris I know what you mean, but when you and others make connections with the firm you work for in your posts and signatures, how does a member of the public distinguish between the two?

Should we all have a personal disclaimer on our signatures or have no markings, its dificult not be associated unless we do and a simple comment in a post is all that it takes.

Colin.

Ps. and as you recently added a disclaimer on your signature then you have a distiction between you and work, but do the public read any further than "//.National Installer.// Sheffield"

To an extent Chris I know what you mean, but when you and others make connections with the firm you work for in your posts and signatures, how does a member of the public distinguish between the two?

Should we all have a personal disclaimer on our signatures or have no markings, its dificult not be associated unless we do and a simple comment in a post is all that it takes.

Colin.

Ps. and as you recently added a disclaimer on your signature then you have a distiction between you and work, but do the public read any further than "//.National Installer.// Sheffield"

Hi Colin.

I appreciate what your trying to get at here, but like you say it's hard to draw a dividing line between the two, for example.

If Joe public asks for advice regarding a //.National Installer.// system then I'm likely to reply to the post to offer assistance.

The //.National Installer.// tag line makes the user aware that I more than likely know what the correct course of action should be. (Since I work for em).

The user should also be aware that I'm here in my spare time and as such I don't offer any "official" recomendations or endorsements just my own personal opinions.

Hence the disclaimer.

How can I achieve the above without stating who I work for?

I don't have a problem with people knowing that I work for //.National Installer.//, although it does tend to cloud peoples views of me and my workmanship.

Then again, the //.National Installer.// name always ruffles a few feathers wherever I go.

Regards

Bellman

Archived