Security Installer Community

how many zones?

Guest oddsocks

Guest oddsocks

hi all, i have to fit 15 (min) detectors in a house and wandered how to split these up- i guess ideally it would be good to see each detector individually in the log, what do you think?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Absolutely - one detector per zone. This reduces your chances of false alarms (fewer joins etc in the cable) and makes any false alarms much easier to trouble-shoot.

Also - when the alarm goes off, the user knows where to check - saves them from wandering round multiple rooms!!

Guest Adrian

B) How about using the Gardtec 593, 8 zones onboard and use an 8 zone exspander and hey you will have a spare zone.

Best of all its easy to program and can be set up for remote access if wanted.

Adrian B)

i would always recommend a galaxy 16

Bit of a headache to program if its your first attempt though.

8 zones on board and an additional 8 by adding a rio.

if installing for myself i never go past it.

Guest RICHL

No offence Oddsocks, but you sound like DIYer in which case Galaxy and Gardtec will probably be difficult to get hold of. In which case you may be better off looking at Veritas or ADE (cant remember the name ofthe panel tho).

Guest oddsocks

no offence taken, I am door entry/cctv eng. - only done a couple of alarms so admit to know very little about them.

I am after a a good panel that is expandable, will eventually use an autodialler of some description to alert owner & or neighbours. Programming should not be too much of a prob for me - quality is my main concern not price as this chap is worth keeping happy.

All advice appreciated.

Guest oddsocks

sorry, also, about fitting Vipers or similiar on windows in a house under jet flight path, are you all sure they will be ok. they (occasionally) come really low and when they do you can FEEL it. I am still nervous about these.

cheers.

Guest RICHL

As you are in the trade you should be able to get hold of most stuff then. I would go for a Gardtec 816 (16 EOL zones on board) LCD keypad and you plug on a speech dialler later if you want.

Guest oddsocks

no problems buying trade, just after the "best panel" which i realise is a quest - but i figure that this is the best place to come for opinions. I have installed 2 id systems and they were ok with no probs, but when speaking to others they thought i had done it to keep the costs down. this is one of the few jobs where money is not really a concern - reliability & quality are my only concerns on this one so i really want to get it right

cheers

Guest oddsocks

hey don't want to start a fued guys, i can see your both trying to help all i'm after is opinions on panels as you know what is good.

Yea, if i installed a system (only a spark), i would like to think a company could take it over for maintenance without having to redo anything :unsure: Umm, hopefully they could !

Email : martin@askthetrades.co.uk

Guest MKAlarms

I would definitely have a look at the Premier 24 (Texecom). This is 8 zones expandable to 24 (you said 15 was a minimum - only leaving yourself one free might not be enough especially if you are likely to add eg smoke detectors at some point in the future).

When you say you want "the best" the LCD keypads are very nice or you could really splash out and go for the new metal flush mounts, these have got to be about the best keypads on the market at the moment.

MikeR

Go for a Scantronic 9851 16 zones FSL on board with built in Digi and expandable to 40, we fit loads.

Also has the ability to use wireless Class VI devices via an expander.

For our bigger jobs we use the Galaxy range but to be honest the Scannie is fine for domestics.

Paul

PG Security Systems

Somerset

SSAIB Certificate of Merit Installers.

www.pgsecurity.co.uk

I Agree with Paul and Steve,

Galaxy is the way to go, forget the texecom rubbish and go with a nice Ademco (or should that be honeywell) panel

Regards

Bellman

Service Engineer and all round nice bloke :-)

The views above are mine and NOT those of my employer.

Guest Gimmick

I would recommend the Guardall Qx18i control panel. Easy to install, can expand to 18 zones (including Keypad detectors), and has an integrated dialler for monitoring should it be required in the future.

Can't think why I recommend that model or manufacturer . . lmao !!

Gimmick.

Guest RICHL
BS should matter!!! diyer or not. Just because someone is a Diyer doesnt mean they shouldnt install the system correctly.

If people come on here asking for advise then you should give them the correct advise Richl otherwise whats the point.

Pete

Pete - you are right of course. But I reserve the right to disagree ;)

Guest oddsocks

ok guys I am just about sold on the Galaxy, just wanted to check how user friendly you think it is ie. naming part sets etc. so the user knows whats going on.

I have about 3-4 weeks untill I have to install because he has building work going on so I figure this will give me time to get used to the panel first. (hopefully)

cheers

Galaxy 18 with rio you can get it in a kit = galaxy 18 panel , proxy rkp and coms mod. You would have to buy a rio if using more than 10 zones but you wont get better i would use one every time a bit expensive but good stuff and you can make the coms mod send SMS mesages to your mobile eg time date and zone activated.

Just dont forget to use the belden cable ;)

Agreed, this is very important !!!!!!

Regards

Bellman

Service Engineer and all round nice bloke :-)

The views above are mine and NOT those of my employer.

Archived