Security Installer Community

Bridging Wireless Routers

luggsey

i think if an access point is in bridge mode it can no longer be an access point as well.

I have a linksys ap and it needs to bridge to another ap and then it wont be an access point.

if you see what i mean

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

As I said above I don't think its related to wireless since one of the routers (the one used to repeat the signal) needs to have the ability to store the wireless details (like ssid, mac address)of your other wireless router to work.

djrock

i think if an access point is in bridge mode it can no longer be an access point as well.

I have a linksys ap and it needs to bridge to another ap and then it wont be an access point.

if you see what i mean

The Siemans TX's it's SSID in bridge mode so I 'assume' it accepts incoming client connections that way?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

okay trying to get 2 routers to work like this is practically impossible unless you can wire them and since you say that would defeat the purpose even although it would allow you to extend the range of your network. If you want to go wireless you really should use a Wireless access point in Repeater mode as as James has said already.

I can't see how your "bridging" anyway as you'll be keeping the same IP range / subnet / gateway, a bridge generally means between 2 networks

i.e 192.168.0.254 / 255.255.255.0 & 192.168.1.254 / 255.255.255.0 - your 2 router ip's but since your not wiring into the router then that won't work as if you think about what your trying to do ...

Laptop >wifi> Siemen's router >> wifi >> other router...

That ain't no bridge and also you don't really want the siemen's router handing out IP's as that just gets messy, so it's a repeater, easy enough to obtain and configure, just need to wire into it once to configure it up and it's good to go will repeat for you and should also let you secure the wifi connection to it.

set it up with no security to start with and test it then put the security on.

Job Done.

Intruder / CCTV / Access Control Technical Support Personal

Subscriber to the "K.I.S.S" principle, that's Keep It Simple Stupid, are you?

okay trying to get 2 routers to work like this is practically impossible unless you can wire them and since you say that would defeat the purpose even although it would allow you to extend the range of your network. If you want to go wireless you really should use a Wireless access point in Repeater mode as as James has said already.

I can't see how your "bridging" anyway as you'll be keeping the same IP range / subnet / gateway, a bridge generally means between 2 networks

i.e 192.168.0.254 / 255.255.255.0 & 192.168.1.254 / 255.255.255.0 - your 2 router ip's but since your not wiring into the router then that won't work as if you think about what your trying to do ...

Laptop >wifi> Siemen's router >> wifi >> other router...

That ain't no bridge and also you don't really want the siemen's router handing out IP's as that just gets messy, so it's a repeater, easy enough to obtain and configure, just need to wire into it once to configure it up and it's good to go will repeat for you and should also let you secure the wifi connection to it.

set it up with no security to start with and test it then put the security on.

Job Done.

QFA

What you could do is see if there is a 3rd party (non linksys) firmware for the WAG354G, which might have wireless repeater support. Then you use the siemens router as your main router and your linksys as your w/repeater.

The standard linksys firmware can look basic, compared to some of the 3rd party firmware (DD-WRT, Openwrt, tomato) you can get for some of the routers.

But try any 3rd party firmware at your own risk!!!

djrock

I did a lot of reading about bridging two wireless routers before asking on here, it can be done but some routers simply can't do it.

I think I'm in the realm of having a router that can't.... :(

It would have been nice to have been able to use Tiscali's 'free' router in this way....

I have seen the 3rd party firmware flashes but I'm really concerned it would be a 50/50 chance of losing the thing completly, if I can find one for the Siemans I may chance it!

Thanks all for the input. :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

I've just read the siemens manual you posted and it doesn't look like it can be used as a repeater without a hard wired connection, my router can be used in 3 modes- Access Point, Bridge or Repeater.

I suggest you either get another wireless router that can be used as a repeater or use ethernet over mains to your siemens router and turn off its DHCP Server

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Archived