Security Installer Community

Transferring Itunes To New Computer

fertilebert

Further to my last post concerning advent computers and what are they like , I have decided against and have got a computer with what you might say has a better build quality.

Anyway can any one advise how to get my itunes library (20Gb music) on to my new PC , My old computer was windows xp and the new one is obviously vista,

Do i just download i-tunes onto the new computer, then plug my loaded ipod in and will it transfer automatically or not ?

Any help would be appreciated , it does say a bit on the i-tunes website ,but i think i must just be feeling a bit thick today !

Beware !!!!!! Your ipod will follow your empty library on the new pc so pluging into the new pc will clear your ipod

So basically the ipod always follows your library, You need to build / copy your library to the new machine first

see on itunes EDIT PREFERENCES ADVANCED where your library is

there back ups are rubbish, you need to copy that folder across to the same location then add that folder to your library TRU FILE ADD FOLDER etc

This will not copy the art work across though the best way for that is to GET ARTWORK from ADVANCED but will only work if your logged into a itunes store account

If you don't have a itunes store account get one of those itunes cards from say sainsbury's for a tenner and create an account from that

I will look for a web url to help you further

Do i just download i-tunes onto the new computer, then plug my loaded ipod in

That will empty your iPod :ranting:

What you need to do depends on whether your music is bought from iTunes Store or converted from other sources or a mixture.

It also depends if your old PC will be accessible (e.g. across a network) from the new one or not.

There are loads of ways to do it, depending on these and other factors, including how computer-literate you are.

My recommendation is to register on the Apple user forums, describe your situation and skill level and someone will tell you the best way(s) to proceed.

I had to help someone recently whose original PC had a hard disk failure, so the only copy of his music was on the iPod and its battery was nearly flat (it only charges when connected to an iTunes PC). With help we recovered it all to a new PC, though it was a bit scary. Did have to download the cover art etc. afterwards but that was easy.

Tip for others as well

If you have a selection of protected .acc files from itunes store

Add them to a playlist, burn them to make an audio CD then re import the music back into itunes as an .mp3 or unprotected .acc file

Bingo move them a as many machine as required

Drives me mad when both my daughters buy the same rudy album !!!

Drives me mad when both my daughters buy the same rudy album !!!

Yes but well think about it they'd probably do the same if it was a physical album as you know they'd want to listen to it at the same time but 1 could be at a mates and wants to listen to it hard with only 1 copy but you could of course make a "backup" but that is rather tenous as to being "copyright" legal then.

Intruder / CCTV / Access Control Technical Support Personal

Subscriber to the "K.I.S.S" principle, that's Keep It Simple Stupid, are you?

Archived