Security Installer Community

Sky Netgear Router

justin

Advice if you may.

I need to connect a DVR onto a Sky netgear ADSL router. I would first like to know whether this DG834 ( i think ) router will be any different than the normal netgear ones I am used to. Secondly, I not expecting any issues conneting internally but I woulkd like remote connection, will this router as normal netgears allow me to do portforwarding etc.?

I am aware the sky broadband connection won't be static IP, how often do sky connection IP's generally change?

I would really need the DVR to be networked wirelessly. Has anyone used a netgear wireless bridge for a DVR before? I have seen the netgear's wireless 'gamming' adapter model WGE111 is this the sort of thing I should be looking at.

Thanks in advance.

Advice if you may.

I need to connect a DVR onto a Sky netgear ADSL router. I would first like to know whether this DG834 ( i think ) router will be any different than the normal netgear ones I am used to. Secondly, I not expecting any issues conneting internally but I woulkd like remote connection, will this router as normal netgears allow me to do portforwarding etc.?

I am aware the sky broadband connection won't be static IP, how often do sky connection IP's generally change?

I would really need the DVR to be networked wirelessly. Has anyone used a netgear wireless bridge for a DVR before? I have seen the netgear's wireless 'gamming' adapter model WGE111 is this the sort of thing I should be looking at.

Thanks in advance.

The Sky branded netgear is essentially the same, but has a fixed username and password, the password being different per customer, and believe this cannot be changed. There is just then some branding in place.

You can completely re-flash the firmware with the standard netgear firmware available from the netgear site. Simply resetting the unit is not enough.

I beleive you can do all you want leaving it as a Sky branded router anyway.

Email : martin@askthetrades.co.uk

the user name is admin, password is sky usually.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

I just flashed my sky router with netgear's own. Couldn't stand not having full access. It's not a bad little router

Archived