Security Installer Community

Scantronic 9853 Tamper Faults

jonme

Hi, we have this unit in our small office building, which was fine for around a year and a half, then we started getting tampers on multiple zones whilst here in the day. Our service company applied some filters etc to prevent elec. spikes but the problem continued. Then they replaced the control panel as they thought it was faulty, but the problems remained.

They then fitted some more filters etc to rule out rf interferance, problem still remains....

So, not sure how to resolve this. The tamper fault occurs seemingly randomly, and we are getting it few times per week. I am able to reset this using our fobs, ( which I thought you couldnt do if it was a real tamper?).

The only thing that has changed in the building was that the mains supply to the unit was moved to a different breaker in our distribution panel, and we have had a couple of Occupancy switches (PIR light switches) fitted to a couple of rooms.

Help!

It might be getting some spiking from those but if they've fitted a filter on the mains supply then this shouldn't be a problem but if they've fitted the filters else where to the system that could be the problem.

I'd check to see where the filtering is.

Intruder / CCTV / Access Control Technical Support Personal

Subscriber to the "K.I.S.S" principle, that's Keep It Simple Stupid, are you?

Think about any other work that has been done at the property, especially any work that was done around the time the problems started - could be that it's not panel or power related and might be cable related.

May i ask what zone numbers this is on?

Panel 1-16 or the expanders 17+

one or the other or both?

You say small office so i'd presume 1-16

Because the plug on zone plugs on the 9853 are terrible

they were always great on the other/older models that had them but this model has had problems

We have about 100-120 ish out there and we have had quite a few visits back to random tampers on this model

One particular job had quite a few so we swapped the plugs for some from a old 9100 panel and it sorted it.

the plug on zone plugs on the 9853 are terrible

they were always great on the other/older models that had them but this model has had problems

we have had quite a few visits back to random tampers on this model

One particular job had quite a few so we swapped the plugs for some from a old 9100 panel and it sorted it.

agreed

scantronic sent us replacement blocks to use so we could replace those that were faulty and seemed to do the trick,

havent been back since, for the same problem anyway :rolleyes:

Hi thanks for replys.

There has been no building works to affect wiring, the zones are all within 1-16. What is strange is that it is almost always a tamper on 8 zones all at the same time. I thought that if there were to be a cabling fault it would only affect 1 particular zone and would be easily identifiable?

It does sound like a problem with the terminal blocks but I am puzzled why this should only show up after a year. Although I have only experienced the problem on Menvier panels (same manufacturer) it has occured very quickly after installation and resolved after panel replacement or change of terminal block.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, we have this unit in our small office building, which was fine for around a year and a half, then we started getting tampers on multiple zones whilst here in the day. Our service company applied some filters etc to prevent elec. spikes but the problem continued. Then they replaced the control panel as they thought it was faulty, but the problems remained.

They then fitted some more filters etc to rule out rf interferance, problem still remains....

So, not sure how to resolve this. The tamper fault occurs seemingly randomly, and we are getting it few times per week. I am able to reset this using our fobs, ( which I thought you couldnt do if it was a real tamper?).

The only thing that has changed in the building was that the mains supply to the unit was moved to a different breaker in our distribution panel, and we have had a couple of Occupancy switches (PIR light switches) fitted to a couple of rooms.

Help!

Hi,

I had the very same problems with two of my 9853's, However the problems were easily sorted when the Area Rep provided me with replacement chips and a chip puller. If you still have this problem its worth checking the Software version on the chip. Up to date version is 13+ i think.

I tested five versions of chip for scantronic to solve multiple problems we were having

Never mind the rechip of 120 8136's

Most were with the processing of fault to outputs

Quite a laugh that tech support used to tell me that chip did'nt exist

Yes the final release v5.0.13 is ten times better than the original v4.02.06

Some unreleased version were v4.02.07 and the terrible v5.00.00

Circuits / Zones i believe have not been altered at all

I did have a list of all changes somewhere

It is without a shadow of doubt that the terminal blocks are the main problem with this system

They admitted it but were unable to help much as the only terminal blocks they had were the duff ones (now corrected i believe as veee seems to say)

I tested five versions of chip for scantronic to solve multiple problems we were having

Never mind the rechip of 120 8136's

Most were with the processing of fault to outputs

Quite a laugh that tech support used to tell me that chip did'nt exist

Yes the final release v5.0.13 is ten times better than the original v4.02.06

Some unreleased version were v4.02.07 and the terrible v5.00.00

Circuits / Zones i believe have not been altered at all

I did have a list of all changes somewhere

It is without a shadow of doubt that the terminal blocks are the main problem with this system

They admitted it but were unable to help much as the only terminal blocks they had were the duff ones (now corrected i believe as veee seems to say)

We have now tried plugging into a 13 amp socket (as a temporary measure) but fault still remains, so I cant see that this can be caused by electrical problem.

So, these zone plugs - what are they, are they inside the main panel? sorry for the numpty questions but i;m just an end user and cant tinker with the unit as its maintained.

Thanks.

Archived