Security Installer Community

Drilling A Hole For A Phone Cable

Compuclick

not sure if am posting in the right place here,

I live in a cottage its got walls about 1m thick so drilling thu the wall to put a phone cable outside is gonna be really hard. i have double glaze windows and wanted to know is it possible to drill in to the plastic frame at all?

If this is possible where is possible to drill?

Thanks

Dave

Is this a stupid answer ? why dont you bye a long drill bit and drill the wall in the right place. Qvc electrical sell them in a pack of three 1.5m long bits for about

TVX systems what a good idea by the time the picture had downloaded the intruder would have been long gone.
SFE.Solutions security systems

Drill next to the vertical frame at the bottom into the wall at about 45 degrees, don't drill into the frame! Then go to the other face of the window and drill a matching hole to meet up with the one you just drilled. You will need about a 10mm masonry drill for this. Feed cable through hole, fix cable, then stop up hole inside with painters mate/filler. Fill hole outside with silicone. Job done.

If you drill an old cottage wall i metre thick you will usually find small bits of cob/stone fall into the hole as soon as the drill is removed, these can jam the cable as you pull it in, unless of course you drill a much bigger hole!

In my part of the country I have drilled loads of 'mud huts' external walls for external sounders and sometimes it can be a nightmare! ;)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

If you drill an old cottage wall i metre thick you will usually find small bits of cob/stone fall into the hole as soon as the drill is removed,

To get round that problem in the past I've left the drill in the hole, releasing the chuck and taking it away, then taped a thickish string carefully (end-to-end) to the driven end of the drill before puling it through from the other side.

It usually works OK as the business end of a masonry drill is larger than the shaft.

Just get a meter bit and have done with it, you've got one for next time then and won't have to worry about shafting up the window..... I wouldn't drill a pvc window in a million years and it would take the earth for me to drill through a wooden one come to that!!!

CCTV Intruder Access Control

Tony Hughes, Proprietor,

TRADE MEMBER

To get round that problem in the past I've left the drill in the hole, releasing the chuck and taking it away, then taped a thickish string carefully (end-to-end) to the driven end of the drill before puling it through from the other side.

It usually works OK as the business end of a masonry drill is larger than the shaft.

You can still get a rough bit of stone jam the cable as you pull it in, dosen't happen often but it's a bugger when it happens as you can't pull the cable in or out then!

What I did once was to push the drill bit out with a skinny bit of ego tube, leave the tube in the hole and problem solved!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Amateur Radio Forum

Personally I would rather be doing this:

why dont you bye a long drill bit and drill the wall in the right place.

than this:

Drill next to the vertical frame at the bottom into the wall at about 45 degrees, don't drill into the frame! Then go to the other face of the window and drill a matching hole to meet up with the one you just drilled.

It may have worked for the Channel Tunnel but I can imagine some people having real problems!

than this:

It may have worked for the Channel Tunnel but I can imagine some people having real problems!

Only the ones that leave the curtains drawn...... :rolleyes:

My Amateur Radio Forum

than this:

Push a long screwdriver into th first hole, it'll help you to judge the angle, and when it moves you know its time to stop drilling......

Archived