Security Installer Community

How Long Will A Camera Last?

madkad

I'd say your more likely to have to replace power supplies if they are low voltage cameras, rather than cameras especially some of the more budget ones, it all depends on the quality of the PSU, how much work they have to carry out and how clean the power supply to where ever the camera is to go i.e how clean the supply to your house is. It's better if the PSU takes the spike and fails rather than passes it on to the camera(s) which could also then fail.

I mean I've seen mains cameras fail due to massive spikes but normally I've seen it take out the lights we've been using or the fuse has went ping and does it's job :)..

If you think there is going to be lots of spikes, and you'd be surprise what can cause even a millisecond spike then fit a mains filter to the supply, after the fused spur of course.

If a camera was only lasting a year / 18 months I'd be asking questions, especially if I had fitted a mains filter.

Intruder / CCTV / Access Control Technical Support Personal

Subscriber to the "K.I.S.S" principle, that's Keep It Simple Stupid, are you?

Pretty low end stuff, so it would depend on the component and build quality, it could last years, or it could last a few months.

Lower end cams sometimes have poor quality control, there are often lots of the chinese/japanese etc imports being sold 'faulty' on ebay where the IR or Camera has either failed, or fell inside the housing. The housing could leak if its not a good quality one, the soldering may not be that good - lots of things could be wrong. Without knowing the particular model its hard to say, but its a cmos cam, so not one I would use, I prefer ccd ones, much better quality.

A good higher end cam should last years if the power is clean, and its not exposed to the elements or pointed directly at the sun etc.

ok great, thanks people

I did notice after fitting the system all up the other day, that the flood cam that is ccd does seem a better build to the CMOS ones. I just want to make sure I have more cash when the time comes to buy the next lot of cameras so I can buy better ones :D

again thank you

ok great, thanks people

I did notice after fitting the system all up the other day, that the flood cam that is ccd does seem a better build to the CMOS ones. I just want to make sure I have more cash when the time comes to buy the next lot of cameras so I can buy better ones :D

again thank you

el cheapo Chinese tat.. I'd give it 12 - 18 months tops.

Archived