Security Installer Community

Garage Door Sensor Tripping Alarm

cygnusx04

ok take it easy on me - first time poster.

British Gas installed alarm - had engineer round over a year ago to service and to take me off monitored alarm contract. Now stand alone. Majority of PIR's are wireless - had a few issues, but these were down to low batteries in the PIR's. Have had a few false alarms recently, console (KP5501Z) reports the garage door sensor tripped the alarm.

The sensor is mounted on the door and I suspect it's a solenoid type sensor. From my understanding, insects won't be able to set these off neither would a small amount of movement in the door. I've tested it and it requires a good 3 inches of movement from the door to trigger the alarm.

Currently I am deactivating the sensor via the console each time i set the alarm. I've had no false alarms since. There is a fixed PIR inside the garage so the garage is still secure.

I sumise the garage door sensor is faulty in some way. Would you agree?

Questions: Not sure of the sensor model (can take apart if required), but can I get a new one and replace old one? I'm guessing the new sensor would need pairing with the console in some way. I'm guessing I will need an engineer round to do this?

Is there anyway of permanetely deactivating the sensor so it doesn't play a part in a full alarm set (without need for zone deactivation).

couple of other questions: On the console the zones are listed. What is panel tamper referring to? and what is Proxy referring to?

alarm panel (main box ) DSC security products, PC5132NB/433

thanks in advance

Dave

ok take it easy on me - first time poster.

British Gas installed alarm - had engineer round over a year ago to service and to take me off monitored alarm contract. Now stand alone. Majority of PIR's are wireless - had a few issues, but these were down to low batteries in the PIR's. Have had a few false alarms recently, console (KP5501Z) reports the garage door sensor tripped the alarm.

The sensor is mounted on the door and I suspect it's a solenoid type sensor. From my understanding, insects won't be able to set these off neither would a small amount of movement in the door. I've tested it and it requires a good 3 inches of movement from the door to trigger the alarm.

Currently I am deactivating the sensor via the console each time i set the alarm. I've had no false alarms since. There is a fixed PIR inside the garage so the garage is still secure.

I sumise the garage door sensor is faulty in some way. Would you agree?

Questions: Not sure of the sensor model (can take apart if required), but can I get a new one and replace old one? I'm guessing the new sensor would need pairing with the console in some way. I'm guessing I will need an engineer round to do this?

Is there anyway of permanetely deactivating the sensor so it doesn't play a part in a full alarm set (without need for zone deactivation).

couple of other questions: On the console the zones are listed. What is panel tamper referring to? and what is Proxy referring to?

alarm panel (main box ) DSC security products, PC5132NB/433

thanks in advance

Dave

Not really an expert when it comes to DSC products. Panel tamper basically means unauthorized access other than engineer to the metal cabinet which houses the main circuit's and battery when opening the cabinet will set off the alarm and you will need an engineer to reset the system depending on configuration.

Proxy refers to the set/unset module which you would use to turn the alarm on/off it's a white/brown box with a set of lights with which you would show a little fob on your keys to activate or disarm the alarm you would normally find near the keypad but could be installed near entry/exit points away from keypad.

With regards to main question re: garage door you could have a problem with the wireless reception (again not an expert on DSC) or you could have a faulty reed which is in the wireless box itself. I would get your maintainer to come out and look at it and they would recommend the next course of action. I would highly recommend that you don't try fix the problem yourself not only is the DSC a very complex system but is home to very high voltage in the control unit. Also you may not be able to use the system protect your premists.

I hope this information is of any help.

Archived