Security Installer Community

Lock Status Monitor

Hello. I have a customer who leaves his store, then halfway home, forgets whether he locked up. He wants a way to tell from a remote location if his store is locked or not.

I figure the first step is to install microswitches in the frame for each of the deadbolts.

After that, I

Fit chubb shunt locks to the doors, connected to his intruder alarm and programme the panel to text him when it is set.

If doors aren't locked he cannot set alarm ..... if he gets a text message he knows all is well.

PM me for access to the SSAIB members discussion area.

Advise your customer to get some counselling, or tranx, take a holiday, open a few cans, something like that...........

its a common sign of stress. LOL

otherwise, as already said, shuntlock plus how about a dialler with one channel connected to set output.

Advise your customer to get some counselling, or tranx, take a holiday, open a few cans, something like that...........

... but don't tell him that if he's bigger than you. :boxing:

PM me for access to the SSAIB members discussion area.

Thank you for the replies. The Chubb lock will not work, it's a narrow stile aluminum door. This is the type of lock the door already has on it:

Adams Rite Lock

But the microswitch I'm planning to install will accomplish the same thing, so that's not the issue. Notifying the customer is the issue.

I will certainly wire the microswitch to a zone on the panel, so he can't arm the system unless the lock is locked. But it will have to be an entry/exit zone so he can get out, and then if he forgets to lock it after he has exited - well, the alarm will go off shortly after he has left. Then central station will notify him, and that may be sufficient.

Having the panel text him when the alarm is set is too passive; he'll still be at or near the store when he gets the text msg. What if he wants to check on the store 3 hours later?

I will check into a dialer. I think that may be no better than having the panel text him.

Hehe - regarding the stress managment suggestions, thanks, you guys are funny!

Having the panel text him when the alarm is set is too passive; he'll still be at or near the store when he gets the text msg. What if he wants to check on the store 3 hours later?

He looks at his phone to see if he had a text message 3 hours earlier!!!!!

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Thank you for the replies. The Chubb lock will not work, it's a narrow stile aluminum door. This is the type of lock the door already has on it:

Adams Rite Lock

But the microswitch I'm planning to install will accomplish the same thing, so that's not the issue. Notifying the customer is the issue.

I will certainly wire the microswitch to a zone on the panel, so he can't arm the system unless the lock is locked. But it will have to be an entry/exit zone so he can get out, and then if he forgets to lock it after he has exited - well, the alarm will go off shortly after he has left. Then central station will notify him, and that may be sufficient.

I will check into a dialer. I think that may be no better than having the panel text him.

Hehe - regarding the stress managment suggestions, thanks, you guys are funny!

I see you're in The US so I don't know what comms you use but assuming you use standard digital comminicators why not wire the lock to a spare channel so it sends a signal when locked and a restore when unlocked.

Your customer can ring the monitoring station for a staus report whenever he wants to.

Archived