Security Installer Community

Pet Detectors

do you have to fit pet pirs at a specific height?? I need to get 3 pet detectors for a job where the woman has 2 cats, to replace the existing detection (installed before she moved in). can you install them just below coving as they are now or do they need to be lower down? or does it vary from model to model? not used pet detectors before so im a bit clueless with them to be honest

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What model are they mate?

All the pet passives I have fitted have fitted have specified a more-or-less exact fitting height for maximum "immunity" from pets. Best to read the instructions thouroughly as you don't want to be going back to lower them after they've been fitted.

Trade Member

Guest old-hand

As above, read the instructions.

Cats are a PITA, make sure they cannot get up on adjacent cupboards or the detectors are looking at stairs.

I have fitted some RX-40 PT's at "normal" height (around 2.5m ceiling height in an average house) with no bother. Usually fairly small dogs, never tried them with cats to be honest. I would probably look at perimeter protection with a couple of regular PIR's dotted around just in case.

Trade Member

Just going to say : OPTEX OPTEX OPTEX

Thats all we fit rx40pt and the mx40pt, we have been fitting optex now for about 8 years and personally only ever had to change 1 due to unknown FA. I would normally say there is always a reason for a fa but couldn't find IT.

These detectors fitted in the right location cant be beaten, i set them to Pc 4 and they out strip everything out there.

Just be careful where you site the detectors, don't point them at stairs or fit them where pets can get too close, follow these rules and never look back.

Matt the Optex rep.

Archived