Security Installer Community

Pet Detectors

which ones do you use / recommend or do you avoid at all costs?

we currently use risco for our pet detectors and generally find them ok

their rokonet pet pirs that go by the same name as your company are ok, but i try and design them out using shocks and limiting the rooms the pets have access to.

Guest anguscanplay
i've always found with the visonic range of pet detectors that they generally go to sleep and respond very slowly / if at all

has this improved in the last few years?

yes.

tends to be several competative views on this, depends on the enviorments and value of posible loss the detction is to be installed within.

i'm not a big fan of shocks, simply because of the risk of condensation causing problems or some idiot caller tspping on the window because they can't accept you out.

if you do use shocks try to get them at least above the 1/2 wayline on the window.

rokonet pets are fine in my book, our 10 stone dotty rotty never trips them, sites with cats and or dogs have not reported any problems, and not as slow as some i've tried at detecting people.

your best to read the enclosed instructions for the unit BEORE you fit it, then you will be more likely to be ok. if your not sure about a particular location then test it out by using a legnth of cable as a fly lead, and mount the detector with some blue tak. walk test and pet test and if all ok instal it properly.

only a short duration proceedure, but this way you will make less damage to the decorations if you then decide to move it - and have more time for the pub operatic societey : :)

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

• 6 months later...

do you have to fit pet pirs at a specific height?? I need to get 3 pet detectors for a job where the woman has 2 cats, to replace the existing detection (installed before she moved in). can you install them just below coving as they are now or do they need to be lower down? or does it vary from model to model? not used pet detectors before so im a bit clueless with them to be honest

What model are they mate?

All the pet passives I have fitted have fitted have specified a more-or-less exact fitting height for maximum "immunity" from pets. Best to read the instructions thouroughly as you don't want to be going back to lower them after they've been fitted.

Trade Member

Guest old-hand

As above, read the instructions.

Cats are a PITA, make sure they cannot get up on adjacent cupboards or the detectors are looking at stairs.

I have fitted some RX-40 PT's at "normal" height (around 2.5m ceiling height in an average house) with no bother. Usually fairly small dogs, never tried them with cats to be honest. I would probably look at perimeter protection with a couple of regular PIR's dotted around just in case.

Trade Member

Just going to say : OPTEX OPTEX OPTEX

Thats all we fit rx40pt and the mx40pt, we have been fitting optex now for about 8 years and personally only ever had to change 1 due to unknown FA. I would normally say there is always a reason for a fa but couldn't find IT.

These detectors fitted in the right location cant be beaten, i set them to Pc 4 and they out strip everything out there.

Just be careful where you site the detectors, don't point them at stairs or fit them where pets can get too close, follow these rules and never look back.

Matt the Optex rep.

You might think so but you'd be pushed to notice the difference to be honest. They are very good detectors though, IMO.

Over several years and with reps saying there detectors are the best we went the optex route, but we all have our own comfort zones when it comes to detectors and panels.

Personally a good galaxy panel with optex detectors is a winning combination, but people don't like galaxy "generally" mainly as they don't understand them and its the same for detectors.

As standard a optex detector set to pulse count 4 "about the only adjustment that can be made" can be put up and you can walk away knowing that NO adjustment will be necessary.

So when we employ people with a lack of overall experience fitting alarm system these are great.

Matt

Hi there,

On the same subject, my friends have asked me to swap a couple of pirs to pet detect ones for them as there getting a cat, they have the honeywell/ade G3 optima compact system.

There going to restrict it to hall, kitchen and landing, there are two pirs in these areas, one in the kitchen and one in the hall.

Does anyone have any advice, should I go for ade detectors as they have this system? -such as the activ8 quads?

Do I have to look out for any copatibility issues with the detectors and panel?

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Just going to say : OPTEX OPTEX OPTEX

Thats all we fit rx40pt and the mx40pt, we have been fitting optex now for about 8 years and personally only ever had to change 1 due to unknown FA. I would normally say there is always a reason for a fa but couldn't find IT.

These detectors fitted in the right location cant be beaten, i set them to Pc 4 and they out strip everything out there.

Just be careful where you site the detectors, don't point them at stairs or fit them where pets can get too close, follow these rules and never look back.

Matt the Optex rep.

Agreed.

Guessing, but reckon fitted well over 5000, maybe changed, 3 or 4.

Archived