Security Installer Community

Darker Night, More Crime?

Chorlton

Before they changed licencing hours a greater proportion of residential break-ins were at the 3-4pm mark (even in winter it's not dark), when BB had Dutch courage & mum had gone to collect the kids from school. Point being BB knew no one at home.

There is more residential burglary Oct - Dec not because the nights are darker, but because the GP want bargains (gift wrapped?) this time of year and BB knows where to find them.

With the street lights turned off, I reckon many will fear to venture out, so homes occupied. Maybe less residential burglary?

Of course muggings & knife crime will increase....

IMO anyway.

I'm with hpotter.

I think anti-social behaviour will soar in areas where street lighting is cut ...... but I don't see any link to burglaries.

However........ the perceived higher risk is likely to make householders feel more vulnerable, so I would expect an increase in alarm sales, and more opportunity to sell alarms in such areas.

PM me for access to the SSAIB members discussion area.

Before they changed licencing hours a greater proportion of residential break-ins were at the 3-4pm mark (even in winter it's not dark), when BB had Dutch courage & mum had gone to collect the kids from school. Point being BB knew no one at home.

There is more residential burglary Oct - Dec not because the nights are darker, but because the GP want bargains (gift wrapped?) this time of year and BB knows where to find them.

With the street lights turned off, I reckon many will fear to venture out, so homes occupied. Maybe less residential burglary?

Of course muggings & knife crime will increase....

IMO anyway.

agreed.

work it out - I have 3 times as many service visits to do in October/ November than I do in May/ June

You've not fitted many alarms in May cos. you've been on holiday?

.... or you service them in November but forget to do the half year service in May?

..... or you have a backlog from September?

Am I getting close?

Guest anguscanplay
You've not fitted many alarms in May cos. you've been on holiday?

.... or you service them in November but forget to do the half year service in May?

..... or you have a backlog from September?

Am I getting close?

to getting a slap - yeah

LOL

As people are prepared/demand to pay less because of the relative price of other goods then quality must drop because the average installer must do more work to make the same money in.

But reference the topic of will dark nights = more crime , we may see more reports of it onthe news just like the story of today where a mans car got nicked and "he" reckons if the streetlight it was under had been on it wouldn't. Wither he is right or wrong don't matter it's what other peeps thing and then do as a result that does.

I'm thinking the great British public will get into the fear mode the powers that be like them to adopt and pay for piece of mind like CCTV, intruder systems and security lights, car alarms, trackers etc etc.

C.

Kindof defeats the point of the 'carbon footprint' excuse they are trotting out if people start installing security lights on all the houses, and use even more electric on cctv, dvrs and alarms....

Wonder if they will turn the street lights off outside of the councilors and politicians homes?

Well when i was in france virtually none of the villages or towns had streetlighting, no one was earning big money out there and there was no crime to speak of.....

The people generally were all in the same boat and didn't nick off each other.

We are very much a nation of those that are perceived to "have" and those that "have not"... the divide gets bigger all the time and the "have nots" (more commonly known as the sh1ts who can't or won't get a job and don't want to pay tax) find it more appealing to rob from joe average whos worked hard to earn his three bed semi and a two year old car on the drive.

Simple answer is yes crime will most likely go up... probably not due to the masses rising up... just a few who take a bigger advantage of the situation.....

(sorry grumpy old rant over.....!!)

Kindof defeats the point of the 'carbon footprint' excuse they are trotting out if people start installing security lights on all the houses, and use even more electric on cctv, dvrs and alarms....

Wonder if they will turn the street lights off outside of the councilors and politicians homes?

I'm sure they will when the road safety people realise people generally don't drive as fast on unlit roads.... god we could save 5 humans and at least 50 hedgehogs a year.... it must be worth it.... unless the humans are the sods that just burgled my house ofcourse......!!!

work it out - I have 3 times as many service visits to do in October/ November than I do in May/ June

i'd guess thats relevant to their initial installation dates Gus,

traditionally in the intruder ttrade, now until 1st week of january is an exceptionally busy time of year. Mr BB is out doing their 'shopping', so a burglary happens, might be a small loss but then the house has to be protected like forte knox. neighbours get unsettled and decide to bolt the door before the horse vacates.

imo it will be hard to say wether the street lighting being on or off will affect sales, i think it will cause some increase as people turn to security to aid safe entry/exit to their homes for their families.

for instance i found in the last big recession i was in-undated with work. my conclussion it due to normally honest people loosing jobs, needed to pay rent, feed kids so turning to crime.

on the 'bright' side, just been announced on the news Ipsich Council are removing 'safety cameras' in favour of paying for street lighting to stay on, so some 'light at the end of the tunnel' boom! boom!

(oh please yourselves :whistle: )

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

on the 'bright' side, just been announced on the news Ipsich Council are removing 'safety cameras' in favour of paying for street lighting to stay on, so some 'light at the end of the tunnel' boom! boom!

I thought the ipswich tunnel was for trains only: Here it is

Archived