Security Installer Community

Simple Panel For Old Lady (using Simple Prox Rdr)

Matt Ward

Hi,

I need to change an old lady's alarm panel, because she keeps getting confused and forgetting the code AND how to use it.

As a company we use Texecom, but I didn't really want a prox 'KEYPAD' - I don't want her to get confused by the LCD screen or the keys. I ideally want a prox reader, like the Galaxy MAX reader, or this:

http://www.pyronix.com/php/web/whatsNew.php

...the PCX-PROX/INT

I usually install Pyronix on private jobs, but I hear that other engineers don't like them, so I'm not sure if to go with Pyronix.

So in summary:

• Separate 'simple' proximity reader without keys - the simpler the better. It must have some way of showing when the system is set or unset, by an LED (no LCD screens) because she cannot read them!
  • Simple part set simple operation: Present tag, go upstairs = landing PIR is automatically isolated - no pressing keys to select part set. I think Galaxy G2 panels did this, it was called 'simple set' or something.
  • Cheap domestic style panel. The lady doesn't want to spend much, so Galaxy is out of the question!

Any ideas? Any help would be excellent!

Matt

Confidence Vidionics

I would avoid Pyronix panels like the plague. As for the reader you showed ..... that looks well confusing, using symbols, Etc. also, old people have problems seeing blue led's.

What's the problem with a Texecom Premier. Leave the flap up and she'll never see the keypad and the screen tells her the status.

PM me for access to the SSAIB members discussion area.

I would avoid Pyronix panels like the plague. As for the reader you showed ..... that looks well confusing, using symbols, Etc. also, old people have problems seeing blue led's.

What's the problem with a Texecom Premier. Leave the flap up and she'll never see the keypad and the screen tells her the status.

I could install Texecom, apart from the programming menu structure (takes a bit of getting used to!) I think it's a great panel. I just didn't want to confuse her with anything, so the simpler the better. It is an option, but just wondering if there is anything else that I should be considering.

Try cheapo ADE accenta with fob keypad. She will still need to understand how to reset though, on std led keypad.

TBO, I'd stear clear of any EN panel.

Looks a bit too cheapo (like Wickes/Maplin panels). Being in the trade, would like to put something in that is an improvement to her current panel without spending too much. She currently has a pyronix panel with 7-seg LED not working! (Has horrible icons on the keys!). Need separate reader or keypad anyway - the end station under a watertank in the airing cupboard.

Accenta has seperate end station. The remote (fob reader) is small & compact. and its cheap as the lady wants.

Alternative is to go for a panel with a telecommand type fob, but prices rise.

Thanks for your advise, I may stick with a Texecom, or do you have any experience with this:

http://www.guardall.com/resources/download...et_-_200808.pdf

There is a simple keypad here with prox reader

Guest anguscanplay

any risco panel with a stand alone reader - you even get a status light built in.

tell it to auto part set and jobs done.

Sorry I dont fit guardall stuff.

TBO If you fit Texecom as a rule, I'd stay with them. Not trying to get you to suck eggs, but I've had similar problems with the less tech (older?) people, (esp since EN etc) and a late call asking what have i done etc needs to be answered over the phone, without you having to hunt for the manual lol. (yep been there).

Hope I dont sound too condecending.

Agreed with angus. Fitted one a couple of weeks ago in an old lady's house with an RF fob for set/unset. Could'nt be any simpler to use.

Thanks for your advise, I may stick with a Texecom, or do you have any experience with this:

http://www.guardall.com/resources/download...et_-_200808.pdf

There is a simple keypad here with prox reader

There is nothing simple about the PX, especially where the elderly are concearned.

Trade Member

any risco panel with a stand alone reader - you even get a status light built in.

tell it to auto part set and jobs done.

This looks like the badger! (as one of my colleages would say)

Thanks for your input!

Out of interest, how do you reset gardtec/risco panels following activation? Fob sets, alarm goes off, fob unsets, then code on keypad? Are these EN panels you are talking about?

I'd be interested about this also.

depends on your overall budget, the prosys 40 can be 'set' by pressing the 'set' button, has prox in the keypad using the standard gardtec prox tabs.

tbh though, CPX/490 imo takes some beating for shear value, if you get the G490 panel with the 4 wire G595 keypad (and yes they do work on it) you a have prox in the keypad with a neat aesthetic result.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

As you say, depends on budget. Homelink 55, gives 16 wireless zones & 8 hardwired, c/w fob keypad + optional telecommand fob. Cheap as chips for the facilities.

But, any agg and its back to the keypad, and thats where I've been getting the late night calls.

And they look neat too.

post-17665-1223488631_thumb.jpg

Could still do with finding an "easy" panel for non tech people.

Guest anguscanplay
Out of interest, how do you reset gardtec/risco panels following activation? Fob sets, alarm goes off, fob unsets, then code on keypad? Are these EN panels you are talking about?

just fob it again to reset.

yes EN panels and yes it`s a little known fact your allowed to indicate set/unset on the actual reader itself.

This looks like the badger! (as one of my colleages would say)

Thanks for your input!

I'd be interested about this also.

depends on the user level set to the tag and the 'reset' authority needed in programming, set to 'any user' then the fobs will reset the panel, but will require it to be offered 2 times after an activation. this is the same fr a code, and is meant to 'jog' the user to read the panel diplay.

regs

alan

Could still do with finding an "easy" panel for non tech people.

i've ordered in a Risco Wisdom Panel to have a look at, 1 wired zone 32 (i think) wireless.

has a rkp in the lid and can have a wireless keypad to set/unset. they do a wireless bell - but this pulses in alarm 1 min on 1 min off to save batteries

regs

alan

(so anyone remmember the 'chat' about fitting smokes to intruder panels then?)

Before just reading about that pulsing 1min on 1min off siren, If I had heard one of those go off I would have just thought it was either faulty, or they were doing tests on/maintaining or installing the alarm.

Sort of, hmm a siren, oh its stopped, must have been a mistake.

Eh, its back on.. WTF?

Double WTF its stopped again, and so on...

Would have confused me enough to convince me it was not a real alarm.

Before just reading about that pulsing 1min on 1min off siren, If I had heard one of those go off I would have just thought it was either faulty, or they were doing tests on/maintaining or installing the alarm.

Sort of, hmm a siren, oh its stopped, must have been a mistake.

Eh, its back on.. WTF?

Double WTF its stopped again, and so on...

Would have confused me enough to convince me it was not a real alarm.

tbf they do a 'proper' wired siren that fits it but totally agree about the pulsing issue

regs

alan

i've ordered in a Risco Wisdom Panel to have a look at, 1 wired zone 32 (i think) wireless.

has a rkp in the lid and can have a wireless keypad to set/unset. they do a wireless bell - but this pulses in alarm 1 min on 1 min off to save batteries

(

Reads like scanny i-on. Except no 1min on etc... (oh & built in spirit level in bellbox. :whistle: )

I'm gonna have to fit one to see.

Now who dont I like? :hmm:

Archived