Security Installer Community

Ip Cameras

wilks121

Looking for help here.

Ive been asked to extend and upgrade a warehouse /office site who currently have only two IP cameras hooked into their network. They are looking at putting in another 8, inc 1 NPR camera. They will be responsible for power and cat5 from network hubs to camera locations. Given this how much of the work from then on is IT and how much would be mine. As this is all new to me and everything Ive done has ended up in a DVR what requirements what would the sites system need to have in way of storage and remote monitoring.

Thanks

Wilks

Depends what system they use now and whether they are looking at expanding that or going for a whole new load of kit, server side.

The only IP system I have dealt with was a 74 cam system in a large comprehensive school.

They were using Axis cams with Milestone XProtect Software.

The milestone software was far more complicated than it needed to be. With lots of emphasis on online verified licencing, which made it a pig of a job when cameras needed replacing, meaning licenses needed to be swapped around which involved several emails back and forth to Milestone to get this authorised.

We had lots of problems with that particular install, cameras continually faulting, then working and faulting again, and it put me right off IP.

You need a dedicated, beefy server to store all the footage, a 16cam software license (milestone basic) is just less than a grand.

There are plenty of other systems on the market, I'm just giving Milestone as an example, which I found was very expensive for what it was.

We procured the kit from a well known UK distributor, who were quick to sell us the kit and then even quicker to not want to get involved when problems arose.

All I am saying is tread carefully.

IMHO it is not hard to install cctv system with 10 ip cameras.

I have installed such systems myself. It doesn't take too much time.

For faster FPS the PC should be fast enough. Network should be gigabit one. Hard disk - it depends on requirement.

I would put cameras (like AXIS 211 with housing for outdoor and 207, 210 for indoor).

1. Calculate all perameters. For example for 10 Cameras, 10 FPS, MJPEG compression level 20, Recording on motion 20% of time we

we get about 29 Mbit bandwidth and about 400 GB of storage space per week (calculated with ip video system design tool )

2. Calculate focal length for cameras.

3. Connect cameras to the network switch. Run Axis IP Utility and assign IP addresses 192.168.1. 50-192.168.1.60

4. Started browser enter IP address and configure compression. For AXIS it is Setup/Video And Image/Compression - set 20. IMHO optimal.

5. Choose software and tested the demo verison. Luxriot software is not the bad one. But anyway it is better to test it yourself.

6. Install cameras.

7. Purchase and install the software.

post-16733-1223385537_thumb.jpg

post-16733-1223385549_thumb.jpg

Archived