Security Installer Community

Dynamic Ip Connection

ispy

I fitted a router for a customer, and used DDNS for remote access to the router, and to a connected telephone system.

Everything worked fine, but then fairly often I would find that the router or telehone system could not be accessed, even though I could ping the domain.

Turned out they decided to start turning the router off when ever they turned the computers off, and as the dynamic IP was released, it would get renewed to someone else, and the domain name still pointed to the old IP, and hence someone elses connection.

Just thought I would mention that when you come to trouble shooting - just because the domain name returns a ping, this does not mean it is routed to where you think it is!

Email : martin@askthetrades.co.uk

Just out of interest does anyone know how long it takes for all the dns servers around the world to update with a service like dyndns?

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Just out of interest does anyone know how long it takes for all the dns servers around the world to update with a service like dyndns?

from what i've gleened, i think its to many variables to calculate. as i understand it they are only updated if the original dynamic ip changes, this could be hours, weeks between (if actually at all).

if all the routers in the world were switched off for two weeks, bet that would take a few seconds to sort out the updates :lol:

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

it doesnt work like that, ie the dns servers are not updated, just the high level domain is contacted and its nameserver gives the client the relevant ip, i doesnt populate out thats only for fixed ip's.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

• 7 months later...

I've just set up an account with DYN.dns and downloaded their software automatic updater. I'm using a BT 1800HG router and have set up ports 80, 8234/8235 on my Eco4 but can't seem to connect.

I can connect locally but not remotely, when i try and connect to the either the domain or dynamic address and port i get timeout. I've tried their support section and carried the tests ok but still no remote.

I've always been used to using a static Ip but would like to get my head around this!

any suggestions?

ve hav ze nolij or if not we ask!!!!

Dont use the downloaded software if you don't have to.

Most routers will have a settings page where you can place your DYNdns login info etc, and the router will do the updates as and when required.

Email : martin@askthetrades.co.uk

ports 80,8234,8235 have been opened in the router and tested with the port checker ok

My BT1800hg doesn't appear to allow DNS config only option for tick the box!

ummm, maybe this is where the problem lies!!

ve hav ze nolij or if not we ask!!!!

Archived