Security Installer Community

Powermax+ Interference?

tdcooper

I'm getting occasional supervision failures with some of my Powermax+ K9-85 MCW PIRs... they randomly fail to report, a fault is registered.... but then normally the fault rectifies itself in the next reporting interval. Walk tests are ALWAYS successful with these PIRs, I cannot get them to fail. The 2 main culprits are both the nearest and the furthest PIRs away from the panel, so no pattern in terms of distance. My wireless siren NEVER faults in this manner and it's the furthest device away from the panel. I've recently done a battery replacement on all my devices, but in any event, I was not getting any battery low faults, but the existing batteries were 3 years old so I thought it was time.

My panel is located in an understairs closet which also has my ADSL line and associated wireless broadband router (802.11n). It also happens to be where my mains electric panel and base station for my cordless telephone. Basically anything electrical that needed to be hidden has gone into this closet!

Questions:

(1) Is my broadband wireless router likely to be causing interference? It operates at a totally different frequency.... 2.4 or 5 GHz

(2) Are nearby electrical devices or my mains panel likely to cause interference in the 869 mhz frequency range?

I've switched off the wireless radio on the router and am going to leave it off for a few days to see if the faults go away... but in the meantime I thought I'd get some opinions/advice based on any experiences out there?

I'm getting occasional supervision failures with some of my Powermax+ K9-85 MCW PIRs... they randomly fail to report, a fault is registered.... but then normally the fault rectifies itself in the next reporting interval. Walk tests are ALWAYS successful with these PIRs, I cannot get them to fail. The 2 main culprits are both the nearest and the furthest PIRs away from the panel, so no pattern in terms of distance. My wireless siren NEVER faults in this manner and it's the furthest device away from the panel. I've recently done a battery replacement on all my devices, but in any event, I was not getting any battery low faults, but the existing batteries were 3 years old so I thought it was time.

My panel is located in an understairs closet which also has my ADSL line and associated wireless broadband router (802.11n). It also happens to be where my mains electric panel and base station for my cordless telephone. Basically anything electrical that needed to be hidden has gone into this closet!

Questions:

(1) Is my broadband wireless router likely to be causing interference? It operates at a totally different frequency.... 2.4 or 5 GHz

(2) Are nearby electrical devices or my mains panel likely to cause interference in the 869 mhz frequency range?

I've switched off the wireless radio on the router and am going to leave it off for a few days to see if the faults go away... but in the meantime I thought I'd get some opinions/advice based on any experiences out there?

Hi,

The only time I have had any problems with supervision on this system is when it has been installed near the mains consumer unit. It does say in the paperwork that comes with the panel that it should not be sited in this sort of location.

I would expect to get the same fault from all your devices if this is the problem. You could try swapping a couple of the detectors, if you swap one that is not causing problems for one that is, and reassigning the the zone numbers you'll be able to prove whether it is the PIR or the location that is causing the problem.

None of the systems I have fitted have ever had any problems with interferance from wireless routers.

Hope this helps.

www.truesecurity.co.uk (site is still a work in progess, thoughts/advice gratefully received)

Archived