Security Installer Community

Veritas 8c Battery Replacement?

mrwy2k

Hi,

The power light on my Veritas 8C alarm has recently started flashing. I've been doing some decorating and have switched off various power circuits but I don't think it's related as I've done a couple of resets and it's still flashing. Anyways, I'm now unable to set it.

I've removed the front panel to check the battery as I understand this could also cause the power light to start flashing (the previous owner fitted the alarm so gave me engineer code as well as the set / arm code) and the battery is a pretty hefty one.

Question is, can these only be supplied directly to installers or can I order one? If yes, where's best? It's a 12V 2.2Ah unit, I'd need a LY11-044-21 as a replacement.

Guess I should also ask, if switching off circuits did cause it to flash, any advice on what I need to do to stop it?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Hi,

The power light on my Veritas 8C alarm has recently started flashing. I've been doing some decorating and have switched off various power circuits but I don't think it's related as I've done a couple of resets and it's still flashing. Anyways, I'm now unable to set it.

I've removed the front panel to check the battery as I understand this could also cause the power light to start flashing (the previous owner fitted the alarm so gave me engineer code as well as the set / arm code) and the battery is a pretty hefty one.

Question is, can these only be supplied directly to installers or can I order one? If yes, where's best? It's a 12V 2.2Ah unit, I'd need a LY11-044-21 as a replacement.

Guess I should also ask, if switching off circuits did cause it to flash, any advice on what I need to do to stop it?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Flashing power LED usually indicates power failure not battery failure. I am pretty sure (and I am going from memory) that the power light flashes when mains is interupted but stops flashing when mains is restored with this panel.

There is a small mains fuse inside the panel adjacent to where the mains is connected, it is possible that this has blown when powering the system back up.

Isolate mains before opening the panel and if in doubt leave it to a pro.

Batteries are freely available but price/quality varies.

Wow, quick response!! :signthankspin:

The fuse did look a little cloudy, though this was probably due to all the dust in the unit.

I'll check it out tomorrow, thanks again.

I'd get on it tonight if I were you, if the system is currently running on battery and I think it is when the battery goes flat (and that could be imminent) your external sounder will activate and you will not be able to stop it.

Thanks, more good info.

So if the alarm is running off the battery, how long would it usually last? The power light's been flashing for over 3 days now......

If it's not the battery, anything else I can check? Other than the reset I've done?

How long the battery will last depends on so many factors that it is impossible to predict without testing the system load and even then it's unpredicatble without knowing the condition of the battery.

It depends on how many detectors and what type of detectors, what make and model of external siren, whether or not the external is self activating (it should be but if it was diy there is no guarantee) and how many additional keypads if any.

Can't remeber the quiescent current of that panel but 3 days does seem a long time on a relatively small battery.

Put your ear to the panel (no, honestly) if you can hear a low frequency hum it is a fair indication that the fuse I mentioned earlier is ok.

If mains is getting to the panel then it could be a faulty panel or possibly a battery. To be honest it's hard to say without doing a few tests with a multimeter.

Archived