Security Installer Community

Asus Eee Laptop

miaren

Just bought the wife an Asus Eee laptop, so she can surf to her hearts content (but mainly to free my PC for Me :rolleyes: )

I'm quite impressed with it, and for 150 quid its tempting to get one myself - My uses would be for the inevitable Library of manuals, 7" screen is easier to read than the 2" Nokia phone, and also as its under a kilo, its not to heavy to use setting up and focusing IP cameras...

Any body else use one??

cheers

there are a few mini laptops, the original epc is a 7" screen, celeron processor (limited to 900MHz). Problem with the 7" screen is that if you install windows in it, its not very tall res wise. The 900 is better. But look at the new atom powered mini laptops, like the msi wind and such like. New epc has awesome battery life, better than my Dell D420 (i get about 7 hours from an extended batt) as they do about 9 hours on a std batt!

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

what kinda spec is it?

Was thinking of getting the acer 5920 with that mobile broadband from 3.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/692890

My girlfriend is after a laptop though so might be a good buy for her!

Edit: ACER NOT ASUS ;)

Sorry, Definately a Asus http://www.ebuyer.com/product/141743

They do quite a range, so the spec will vary. I bought the basic one shown in the link above, and it works very well. Extremely quiet, as the only moving part is the cooling fan, and it comes with Open Office, PDF reader and Firefox. I'm tempted to leave the big laptop in the office and get this for site duties.

Note, on this one the screen has the width but not as the height as a normal pc, the better ones have bigger screens.

cheap and cheerful, and for her indoors it does come in "pretty"? colours.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/1577927/ar...150bb-blue.html

Ive been looking at this one, i know it cost more but it has windows XP and proper hard drive and more guts and only a smidgeon bigger.http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/1577927/art/acer/aspire-one-a150bb-blue.html

re record not fade away. :P

I really can't be ar**** with it anymore.

i to have been looking at these,

has anyone tried using one to prograam a Siemens HiPath exchange or Gardtec control panels?

Siemens have fussy requirements needing IRQ's so many usb to suedo serial port dongles won't work with them.

i carry an old compaq laptop for programming and pdfs, nothing fancy but quite solid and robust. has the invaluable serial port. as it happens neighbour gave it to me when he upgraded, all it needed was a new keyboard which cost

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Tbh Arf it's getting annoying that the majority of laptops these days come without legacy sockets like Serial/Parallel, I for one need a serial

port as it's used by a lot of devices that I use.

RE Usb serial adaptors, i've not had much luck with them as they tend to allocate an IRQ out of a normal

com port range and specific applications will only work with those ranges, not to mention timing/baud rate issues. However, some of these "mini" laptops have a card slot, be it PCMCIA/ExpressCard which you can get serial cards for which work a lot better imho and function as a proper serial port as they are dedicated hardware, not software devices like most usb peripherals.

Tbh Arf it's getting annoying that the majority of laptops these days come without legacy sockets like Serial/Parallel, I for one need a serial

port as it's used by a lot of devices that I use.

RE Usb serial adaptors, i've not had much luck with them as they tend to allocate an IRQ out of a normal

com port range and specific applications will only work with those ranges, not to mention timing/baud rate issues. However, some of these "mini" laptops have a card slot, be it PCMCIA/ExpressCard which you can get serial cards for which work a lot better imho and function as a proper serial port as they are dedicated hardware, not software devices like most usb peripherals.

That never occurred to me. thanks DaleR.

• 1 month later...

We have just bought the EEE pc 1000H, very good so far, we have just ordered a new USB/Serial adapter that apparantly is the best because we too have had issues connecting with some adaptors to the Galaxys.

Why dont Galaxy do USB or laptops do Serial, it all seems a bit backward as i see Menvier do USB now?

PG Security Systems

Somerset

SSAIB Certificate of Merit Installers.

www.pgsecurity.co.uk

Archived