Security Installer Community

Callouts

SIMONADT

Afternoon all

Because there are only three of us over here in the Isle of Man, we cover Intruder systems, Fire systems, CCTV, EAS, Access, Prison systems, Extinguishing, Nursecall, PA, and basically all aspects of what ADT sell.

Working a 1 in 3 callout rota does take its tolls on the old social life etc. My daughter is 8 today and ive been out 4 times already :no: . I was just wondering if its the same for you guys?

do you:

a) Work in a weekly rota

B) Get at least one call per day

c) Find it is customer error or faulty equipment more often than not

and d) Find the callouts are usually quick fixes (except prison systems)

I know there is another topic somewhere about the area you cover etc... we're quite lucky. The furthest we may have to drive is 25 miles.

Si

Fire and Security Service Engineer

***Any views or statements above are not the views of my Employer***

Hi there are two of us who cover alarms in our company, 1 week on 1 week off. i also cover locksmithing duties everyday with 1 weekend off the same time as i get off on alarms. i cover an 80 mile radius. a lot of calls with alarms are normally user error. IMO i think it should state in their contract that if they call out an engineer for a problem which could be resolved by looking in the user manual for the solution the callout will then become chargable!!

Trade Member

It's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice!!

Martin Hanfo

CCTV - Intruder Alarms - Access Control - Security Lighting - Locks

Covering South Wales

07903 967045

Hi there are two of us who cover alarms in our company, 1 week on 1 week off. i also cover locksmithing duties everyday with 1 weekend off the same time as i get off on alarms. i cover an 80 mile radius. a lot of calls with alarms are normally user error. IMO i think it should state in their contract that if they call out an engineer for a problem which could be resolved by looking in the user manual for the solution the callout will then become chargable!!

Discretion required as obviously not worth loosing a 10K customer due to 1 or 2 callouts but in general surely it is chargable?

no i agree, its not that i mind being called out - its all cash at the end of the day, i was just trying to get a cross section of what people have to deal with?!?!?

simon

id say as a rule its sub error, and we get called out for manager resets etc. They know they could do it themsleves but call us to do it for them instead. Some not all. And we only cover faults of the alarm on the comprehensive.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Guest anguscanplay

two weeks on / two weeks off

one callout last night - spider, first out of hours call since late June.

define user error?

two weeks on / two weeks off

one callout last night - spider, first out of hours call since late June.

define user error?

setting the system off by walking into a confirmed area and triggering confrim on system.

"If you carry your childhood with you, you never become old. Why rush to end life when happiness is in the blissfulness of childhood innocence."

"We all die, the goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will."

i guess its defined by...

"Any breakdown on the system that is no fault of the installation, cabling and Hardware or Software which could have been avoided without human intevention..."

??

simon

when i say sub error, i also generalise and include site issues, ie insecure door, window left open, roof removed and system armed during building works, sensors pulled of wall and left hanging, people presenting fobs to pts buttons, fax machines and printers, air con units and fans etc etc. Very very rare its a faulty sensor.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Talking intruder & dont want to tempt providence (esp as I'm on call this week) but we dont get many call outs on "our" systems (ie fitted by us).

Choosing good eqpt and fitting appropriatly & correctly should "design out" f/a's due to eqpt.

Spending time with the eventual users (all users, not letting the blind lead the blind) before quote and after installation should design out f/a's due to users.

That may sound condecending or even naive but as a small business with engineers doing the quoting/fitting/RM & c/o's It's in our interest to get it right first time (yep we have mishaps).

Big firms with their own manufacturing (or with minimum purchase agreements) are at a disadvantage (in this respect) as they have to spec their own gear regardless. Install guys trying to make fit the surveyors spec, maint guys picking up the agg, customer picking up the tab.

We bought out another firm a few years ago. Accounts for 10% of our business, yet over half the c/o's. A fool and his money...........

With access, the smoking ban has increased c/o's considerably we never used to have door closers & hinges in stock! Though on the plus side we're getting more enquiries for repairs to other firms systems as we can sort problems out of hours.

CCTV. Not much change there, customers wait until office hours before calling, unless there is something recorded they want access to NOW. (very rare tbo).

The one single thing with call out that niggles me is that everyone waits until I'm on call before they decide they've got a problem.

lol agree with you on equipment im sure most of us are the same, but the smoking ban has caused us more callouts for people not closing fire doors correctly.

yer, have had a few probs with fire doors but most now on chime or tamper where poss.

Archived