Security Installer Community

Bit Of Help Required :)

Hi everyone,

This may seem a bit wierd for a student to be leaving a post on the site. let me tell you a bit about my self, My name is Ravi first of all and I am 13. I am going to be doing a school project on fire safety at school (not my chosen topic by the way!). I was really struggling on how to make the presentation remotely interesting and then I thought to myself that I could maybe set up a mini fire alarm system.

In my high school we have got a networked GENT vigilon system (BS version with 4 loops I think) and we have a LOT of false alarms because of people spraying sensor heads with deodorant and pressing callpoints etc... I have been doing a bit of research on GENT fire alarm systems and now know quite a lot on how to use it. I know how to soft address, set up zones, set up sectors, change detection modes, change sound patterns, change device labels, name zones and sectors, set up inputs and outputs, control a fire condition (fire alarm activation), find a fault and set up delays for different parts of the system.

So I decided to set up a mini fire alarm system. I have recently bought a GENT vigilon compact control panel that came with an s4-911-st-vo (s-quad sensor sounder strobe speech), a wall sounder and a callpoint. I got the parcel about 2 days ago and was trying to get into the engineer mode to set the system up. I know that the panel allocates the loop when the loop IN is connected to the terminals. I tried that and it recognises the devices and on start up it says "card found at loop 1, no of devices on loop: 3 found" Then I tried activating the callpioint and it said alarm activation fault on the LCD do I spoke to gent and they said that I need to run a soft address. I dont have that password that allows you to get into the engineer mode, Can anyone help or maybe give me the password so I can first of all set up my OWN passcodes! and then take it from there.

I tried asking the users on another forum but they kept making fun of me and trying to make me feel like rubbish so I gave up and closed my account. I would really appreciate if someone would be able to give me the daily password so I can addrss the stuff as I am half way on completion of the demo board! I just want the system to work! Also another question, does the s-quad sensor sounder hav the same warbling 2 tone sound as the 34770 sensor sounder as I would like to set it to that tone but any tone is fine.

Please try and help and dont make me feel like I am wierd like the pople on firenet.

Thankyou for your time :)

Ravi

Ravi first of all welcome to the forums.

My knowledge of gent is very limited as we dont work on it, but i thought you had to be a registered gent installer to get anywhere with it.

My advice is either give it back or relist it. Get something like a basic 2 zone combemtional panel and avoid the addressable stuff, no need for it IMO for your demo project.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Ravi first of all welcome to the forums.

My knowledge of gent is very limited as we dont work on it, but i thought you had to be a registered gent installer to get anywhere with it.

My advice is either give it back or relist it. Get something like a basic 2 zone combemtional panel and avoid the addressable stuff, no need for it IMO for your demo project.

Is that one of them new ones? :whistle:

Ravi, while your request may be valid, it could also be an attempt to open up a panel you shouldn't........we can't tell can we?

I suggest you look at Gents Website and find out who your local "SI" installer is, explain your project to them and see if they will help unlock your panel.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

Ravi

We won't take the pi55 like they may have elsewhere but we also won't give you any engineering passwords, manuals or information that could compromise the integrity of a life saving fire alarm system for the reason luggsey says.

Buy an old 2-zone conventional panel and devices as james said.

C.

we can tell by the fact that no panels come out with preprogrammed passwords, passwords are only put in by the commissioning engineer.

I assumed it was a rip out not a new one?

Possibly one of the old Gent display boards. (I have one with a Vig on it!)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Amateur Radio Forum

well I can send you a few pictures of it via e-mail to prove it. My school control panels are always staff monitored.

mines a vigilon compact 24 with 1 loop. I have tried GENT ans they wont help.

When I contacted the previous owner he said it came with a piece of paper inside the operating manual with a passowrd for the panel but then the idiot lost the damn thing. JUST MY LUCK!!!!!!

well I can send you a few pictures of it via e-mail to prove it. My school control panels are always staff monitored.

mines a vigilon compact 24 with 1 loop. I have tried GENT ans they wont help.

When I contacted the previous owner he said it came with a piece of paper inside the operating manual with a passowrd for the panel but then the idiot lost the damn thing. JUST MY LUCK!!!!!!

Hello Ravi

Glad to see someone taking a keen interest in their school project even if it wasn`t by choice. The Gent panel you have is what we call a closed protocol system which means the manufacturer of the panel in this case is Gent and they don`t give out passwords and support unless you are registered with them. As someone else has pointed out to you we do not give out passwords especially on the public forum section for obvious reasons.

If the project is on Fire Safety maybe you would be better looking at the Fire safety in general rather than just using a fire panel. Maybe use a Fire Safety training video or power point.

I have a power point presentation somewhere and also a video that might help.

Pete

Peter Robinson

Freelance

M:07889038650

Hello Ravi

Glad to see someone taking a keen interest in their school project even if it wasn`t by choice. The Gent panel you have is what we call a closed protocol system which means the manufacturer of the panel in this case is Gent and they don`t give out passwords and support unless you are registered with them. As someone else has pointed out to you we do not give out passwords especially on the public forum section for obvious reasons.

If the project is on Fire Safety maybe you would be better looking at the Fire safety in general rather than just using a fire panel. Maybe use a Fire Safety training video or power point.

I have a power point presentation somewhere and also a video that might help.

Pete

Great idea see here - http://www.communities.gov.uk/documents/fire/pdf/150865.pdf

C.

Now come on i have to give this kid a medal for the courage to ask us all, Even after his bad experience on another forum -hurls abuse-

Well done

Regs

alex

We DO NOT know what was or was not posted elsewhere.

Another forum has complained about what he has said here asking for it to be deleted.

I do not see anything wrong in what has been said thus far but lets leave "other forums" out of further conversation from now on please.

Thanks,

C.

We DO NOT know what was or was not posted elsewhere.

Another forum has complained about what he has said here asking for it to be deleted.

I do not see anything wrong in what has been said thus far but lets leave "other forums" out of further conversation from now on please.

Thanks,

C.

Apologies

Regs

Alex

Even if you managed to get everything working, would the school actually let you bring it in and use it?

I cant imagine a school allowing a pupil to mess with a panel connected to the mains, and even if its on sla batteries they can be dangerous in the wrong hands due to the amount of current they could supply in a fault condition.

Even if the school did allow it, would their insurers not throw a fit if something unforseen happened (even if its just you drop a battery on your foot, or cause hearing damage to someone who puts their ear near a sounder for a laugh and it went off?) as the school allowed a untrained, unqualified person to use equipment meant for installation only by suitably trained professionals?

Even if you managed to get everything working, would the school actually let you bring it in and use it?

I cant imagine a school allowing a pupil to mess with a panel connected to the mains, and even if its on sla batteries they can be dangerous in the wrong hands due to the amount of current they could supply in a fault condition.

Even if the school did allow it, would their insurers not throw a fit if something unforseen happened (even if its just you drop a battery on your foot, or cause hearing damage to someone who puts their ear near a sounder for a laugh and it went off?) as the school allowed a untrained, unqualified person to use equipment meant for installation only by suitably trained professionals?

Should we stop the kids playing contact sports as well in case they hurt themselves?

No hot drinks in the canteen in case they spill it and scold themselves...

No stairs in case they fall down them.

Where would it stop...... :cold2:

My Amateur Radio Forum

Should we stop the kids playing contact sports as well in case they hurt themselves?

No hot drinks in the canteen in case they spill it and scold themselves...

No stairs in case they fall down them.

Where would it stop...... :cold2:

I agree, the world's gone mad.

Went to a parents evening for one of my kids a few years ago. I listend to the headmaster babbling on about how education was changing and that they had to teach children to compete for jobs on a global basis because international travel had made the world a smaller place.

3 weeks later he stopped my son from entering the sprint at sports day because he was too fast and some of the other children's self esteem could be adversely affected.

Give the lad a break guys, if someone can help him how to default it pm him the details, I don't thnik he's going to blow the school up or set it to throw batteries at teachers in full alarm or anything, can you not remember what it was like to prat about with stuff as a kid, Rav if I could help I would mate, next time do one on alarms lol.... someone must be able to help the lad, he's 13 afterall (Rav if you burn the school down after all this I'm leaving the country!)

CCTV Intruder Access Control

Tony Hughes, Proprietor,

TRADE MEMBER

can i just say -:

Ravi i'm not a fire alarm engineer by trade but i have dabled in the past with gents fire alarm kit, there are other addresable panels out there with far easier access for your experimentation than the Gents systems, i'd hope one of our members with some old but working kit would offer it to you for your project.

Guys - Ravi seems to me to be a very bright, repectful and resourceful 13 year old with a heck of a lot of common sense way beyond his years, i for one take my hat off to him for his application and endevour, a rare quality of attitude in this young man who imo should recieve our compliments and our full encouragement surely? as how many apprentacise's let alone traineee's would have the savvy let alone to source their own test kit from their own funds for a training project let alone a 13 year old school pupil?

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Thankyou for your ecouragement! its made me feel a bit better than me feeling like a complete wierdo.

I am pretty sure I wont set the school on fire and break my feet! My teacher is going to wire up the mains to a plug and that is going to be in a secure PSU which comes out of the wall and is safe for students to use mains voltrage to use the equipment in the science labs.

The panel and devices will be mounted on a demo board whihc is at schoo. the sensor sounders and wall sounders are set on 85db and the "audience" (classmates) will be sat about a couple of metres back. The schools alarms are GENT too and I have the same dcevices and they are set on turbo mode! I dont really know how I can ruin everyones hearing when im the one who will be controlling the system!

Lol!!! I'll try not to torch the school!!! the schools alarm seems to be in worser condition than my system! My panel and devices have no faults I thinl but the school has a system fault and a domain fault or something!

In my high school we have got a networked GENT vigilon system (BS version with 4 loops I think) and we have a LOT of false alarms because of people spraying sensor heads with deodorant and pressing callpoints etc... I have been doing a bit of research on GENT fire alarm systems and now know quite a lot on how to use it. I know how to soft address, set up zones, set up sectors, change detection modes, change sound patterns, change device labels, name zones and sectors, set up inputs and outputs, control a fire condition (fire alarm activation), find a fault and set up delays for different parts of the system.
Give the lad a break guys, if someone can help him how to default it pm him the details, I don't thnik he's going to blow the school up or set it to throw batteries at teachers in full alarm or anything, can you not remember what it was like to prat about with stuff as a kid, Rav if I could help I would mate, next time do one on alarms lol.... someone must be able to help the lad, he's 13 afterall (Rav if you burn the school down after all this I'm leaving the country!)
can i just say -:

Ravi i'm not a fire alarm engineer by trade but i have dabled in the past with gents fire alarm kit, there are other addresable panels out there with far easier access for your experimentation than the Gents systems, i'd hope one of our members with some old but working kit would offer it to you for your project.

Guys - Ravi seems to me to be a very bright, repectful and resourceful 13 year old with a heck of a lot of common sense way beyond his years, i for one take my hat off to him for his application and endevour, a rare quality of attitude in this young man who imo should recieve our compliments and our full encouragement surely? as how many apprentacise's let alone traineee's would have the savvy let alone to source their own test kit from their own funds for a training project let alone a 13 year old school pupil?

regs

alan

Thankyou for your ecouragement! its made me feel a bit better than me feeling like a complete wierdo.

I am pretty sure I wont set the school on fire and break my feet! My teacher is going to wire up the mains to a plug and that is going to be in a secure PSU which comes out of the wall and is safe for students to use mains voltrage to use the equipment in the science labs.

The panel and devices will be mounted on a demo board whihc is at schoo. the sensor sounders and wall sounders are set on 85db and the "audience" (classmates) will be sat about a couple of metres back. The schools alarms are GENT too and I have the same dcevices and they are set on turbo mode! I dont really know how I can ruin everyones hearing when im the one who will be controlling the system!

Lol!!! I'll try not to torch the school!!! the schools alarm seems to be in worser condition than my system! My panel and devices have no faults I thinl but the school has a system fault and a domain fault or something!

I would love to be able to help him out and point him in the right direction, but this site has rules for a reason, just because he says he's a 13 year old student we are supposed to believe him the information that he requires will re-initalize a NVM card which means the panel will lose all its config which is fine if its a test rig as the poster says but if it is a real system and he's not a 13 year old and he wipes out a complete system, were does that leave you??

I'm sorry if he is a 13year old student trying to do something at school but two much of his posts give out other ideas.

But if an engineer had posted this here he would have been given short thrift and told to get trade access.

Archived