Security Installer Community

Client Management Software Freebie

If TSI were to launch a free software management system would it be used.

ie service shedules, customer data etc.

What im thinking is to do a free one with all the basics covered than maybe option packs like job costing or mobile callout forms.

The basic principle would be that the data would be stored on a secure server so there would be no backups to worry about, the system could be used from any system we write a client for, ie pocket pc, windows etc (to start with windows only) and as no data would be stored on the device there would be no risk of client data leaking etc.

It would be a only available to trade members etc.

Early days as i started something like this a while ago, and im wondering if its worth resurrecting the project? ie if no-one wnats such a thing no point me wasteing my time writing it. I have had interest from a couple of members but just looking to guage demand.

James

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

yep I'm in, need to pay a bit of attention to segregating details/security etc to satisfy Mr NSI...

Happy to help with testing etc...

TSS

Communication is "A question asked, and an Opinion given." I offer mine to help you with yours.

Statements I make are my personal views only at the time they are posted, if I offend you sorry, must be taken in context and do not neccesarily represent those of my employer.

If TSI were to launch a free software management system would it be used.
James what happened to the RA pocket PC project?

Im still runing the one i wrote but i liked the points system we came up with. Just need to use a pocket PC and sig capture and we would have a winner

Jef

Customers!

the ra app is still going and we use it but i never finished the ppc version as it seemed only me and you wanted it.

never played with that or the lens calc stuff......

ppc as don't work on wm5/6 ?

Mr? Veritas God

Yeah would be interested in helping out, I did try and write one not so easy when you know very little but a little more into it now, maybe try and help you out a bit, once my head gets around why translating a webpage from using tables to using divs is annoying when using certain "style attributes"

Intruder / CCTV / Access Control Technical Support Personal

Subscriber to the "K.I.S.S" principle, that's Keep It Simple Stupid, are you?

The basic principle would be that the data would be stored on a secure server so there would be no backups to worry about, the system could be used from any system we write a client for, ie pocket pc, windows etc (to start with windows only) and as no data would be stored on the device there would be no risk of client data leaking etc.

James

Who's secure server would that be?

And if its a online sever (eg access from the internet) would it be security tested to NSI/SSAIB and insurance companies standards :hmm:

There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots.

Good point Jp, and one I had to consider before offering it.

The server will be a secure SQL server using the same engine as citibank and various financial institutions use.

I looked at High availability Mysql Cluster for the engine but finally decided on the closed source MS SQL engine for its enhanced security. Also all communications from client to server will be SSL encrypted (128bit which has 339,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 combinations) just like the Verified by Visa 3D secure scheme.

But basically Yes

James - do you know what you are letting yourself into ?

I would think that running your alarm business, equipment business and this forum takes up a huge amount of your time. Unless there is a commercially viable reason why you want to do this, I'm a bit confused at why you would take on such a time consuming project.

I know from experience that this type of project NEVER ends, so if you do take it on, be prepared for the long run.

I spent lots of time myself and had a developer work on my MSSQL/web based alarm management system for 2 years - so I'm already well down the road to an online solution. That's not the reason I am trying to put you off - I have no interest in the UK market.

You have offered me lots of useful advice in the past and I am just returning the favour. Speak to a couple of professional software developers first and get their opinion.

If you decide to take it on - cool.

Free Alarm Monitoring over the Internet from IP Alarms

The server will be a secure SQL server using the same engine as citibank and various financial institutions use.

I looked at High availability Mysql Cluster for the engine but finally decided on the closed source MS SQL engine for its enhanced security. Also all communications from client to server will be SSL encrypted (128bit which has 339,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 combinations) just like the Verified by Visa 3D secure scheme.

But basically Yes

Just checking and good luck with the project :rolleyes:

From my point of view I don't like the idea of another company holding our data (not that I don't trust you james)

I could give you a example of how this could go very wrong but its not the place or time :ninja:

There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots.

• 3 years later...

I have been looking for good software for years now, since i stopped using the IBM Lotus smart suite software that i just about managed to manipulate so it would automate my service letters. In saying that I would be very interested. I am currently using windows office 2010 (outlook 2010) but still doing a lot of duplication and cutting and pasting.

AbleAlarmMan

Able Alarm Ltd

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

ill look at bringing this back. The data would be hosted on the tsi cloud though its too hard to support for free seperate data stores. That may change your opinion.

Im thinking of having a mysql tsi cloud backend that would be private and seperate. That way backups etc are not an issue. It also allows me to write mobile apps. Over the next 12 months SIA will be moving fully away from paper in the vans and have tablets. We will use these for all engineer functions and also for sales, quotes etc. I will have tablet gps tracking as part of this but while im going to test on a windows 7 tablet ill wait until windows 8 is released before its deployed. It will be 3rd quarter this year before i have anything to release and the free version will be limited as i will concentrate on linking it to our db which is useless outside of sia.

• 3 months later...

i would be very interested in this

gallery_6868_10_3069.jpgIntruder - CCTV - Access - Telecommunications - IT

Office - (01933) 392992

Mobile - 07580 579097

Archived