Security Installer Community

Static Ip Or Not

justin

Hi all.

When I need to know the IP address on site I just google ' my ip ' or similar. Is their any site I can tell if the connection is static without powering down router and seeing if my IP changes. Sometimes the customer is not sure and has no paperwork and most broadband customer support is a nightmare. On some DHCP connections I can still get the same address even after resetting the router.

Not a great problem,I know, but it would be nice to Know.

You can normally tell from the router config, but not always.

If the IP and subnet are specifically entered it's a fixed IP.

The only way to be 100% sure is to check the ISP setup paperwork which the customer ought to have kept - because if they haven't they're stuffed if the router loses its config.

Or get them to phone the ISP to confirm.

Yeah true you should be able to tell from the router configuration but not always as some still "get" the IP but it's static from the ISP, I think BT is like that will have to check to see if it is sometimes.

Powering down the router, I think the "timeout" on keeping the same IP is something like 10-15 minutes, before it gets reallocated to the pool and given out to someone else even then you might still get it again.

I simple off/on won't probably change the IP.

Intruder / CCTV / Access Control Technical Support Personal

Subscriber to the "K.I.S.S" principle, that's Keep It Simple Stupid, are you?

made the mistake of using BT's dynamic IP addresses for CCTV system requiring dial in...

BT have a habit of doing maintenance at 1am sunday morning, resulting in loss of connection and callouts...

now specify fixed IP's only...

TSS

Communication is "A question asked, and an Opinion given." I offer mine to help you with yours.

Statements I make are my personal views only at the time they are posted, if I offend you sorry, must be taken in context and do not neccesarily represent those of my employer.

On my ISP (Be) dynamic IP's rarely if ever change - even if someone goes on holiday and turns it all off.

So I could be paying for a static IP, not actually have one, and I have to ask the people taking my money if I'm getting what I pay for?

I'm in the wrong job.

So I could be paying for a static IP, not actually have one, and I have to ask the people taking my money if I'm getting what I pay for?

I'm in the wrong job.

It depends what the ISP has set the lease time for IPs to. If it is set fairly long, you will get the same IP each time. If you time out, the IP is released.

On newer IP's with an 'empty' network (ideal for you), you may find they have the lease time set quite high, as there is little point in releasing them all the time.

It's not guaranteed, but the IP may stay the same for a good while, especially if you use a router which re-connects quickly.

Thats the way I have been led to believe it anyway!

The only way to guarantee a static IP is to pay.

In saying that, pipex used to offer it for free, and then for a quid a month......

Email : martin@askthetrades.co.uk

I'm in the wrong job.

Maybe, but mainly you just don't understand.

If you're paying for a static IP you'll have one; I've never heard of ISP's "cheating" on that front. But didn't you start by implying you didn't know what you had and wanted to know for sure......

Maybe, but mainly you just don't understand.

If you're paying for a static IP you'll have one; I've never heard of ISP's "cheating" on that front. But didn't you start by implying you didn't know what you had and wanted to know for sure......

No I think that was justin.

I pay for mine. But was reading the above posts and assumed (wrongly?) that I have no way of telling if I indeed do have a static IP other than by asking my service provider. I have no reason to doubt them whatsoever, but I'm always a liitle sceptical with intangible things I have purchased, e.g. insurance.

Your right though, mainly I just dont understand.

No I think that was justin.

Sorry, losing the plot on who's who..... :whistle:

assumed (wrongly?) that I have no way of telling if I indeed do have a static IP other than by asking my service provider.

Well you could just configure your router to get an IP address automatically and see if it works or not. If it gets one it's dynamic, not fixed.

But it's not anything to worry about, a fixed IP address is a bit like a phone number, they tell you what it is, you use it and it works. (not the best analogy but all I could think of)

You can set your router to get a dynamic IP, and most ISP's will simply recognise you and give you YOUR static IP time and time again (assuming you have paid for it). If you have more than one IP for the connection, they would just give you the first one each time.

So, to check you are getting a static IP, set your router to dynamic, and check you get the same one everytime.

Everytime I have requested static IP's, they never actually tell you what it is, you have to do that for your self! They will tell you your IP's if you request a range.

Email : martin@askthetrades.co.uk

Well you could just configure your router to get an IP address automatically and see if it works or not. If it gets one it's dynamic, not fixed.

But it's not anything to worry about, a fixed IP address is a bit like a phone number, they tell you what it is, you use it and it works. (not the best analogy but all I could think of)

You can set your router to get a dynamic IP, and most ISP's will simply recognise you and give you YOUR static IP time and time again (assuming you have paid for it). If you have more than one IP for the connection, they would just give you the first one each time.

So, to check you are getting a static IP, set your router to dynamic, and check you get the same one everytime.

Everytime I have requested static IP's, they never actually tell you what it is, you have to do that for your self! They will tell you your IP's if you request a range.

Thanks for the info guys, I'll have a play.

• 5 years later...

Archived