Security Installer Community

Panel Location?

CarlG

Hi Guys,

I'm about to prewire for a new alarm and I'm after opinions on the best location for the panel. The choices are: -

1. In the pantry, under the stairs. This has easy access to the consumer unit but it located off the Utility room which also has the back door to the house. The Utility will have a PIR and will not be an entry/exit zone but is that still a bit of a risk?

2. In the loft. Longer wire runs needed and not easy to get to. Is it bad practice to install in the loft though given difficult access for servicing/maintenance etc?

Any views/experience greatly appreciated.

cheers,

Carl

Not the loft, too hot in summer, too cold in winter.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Thanks guys, appreciate the responses.

I was leaning towards the pantry (not literally) anyway so that looks like the best option.

cheers,

Carl

i'd think so without actually visiting your gaf, and esecially if you park a few 'tinnies' in there (hic!) for meditional thinking and planning needs :whistle:

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

It's definitely the pantry now after spending all day yesterday running cables! I don't know how the pros can do that for a living cause I'm aching in places I didn't know existed! :wacko:

The medicinal tinnies came in very handy though, good idea Alan.

Thanks again for the advice, got to decide on which kit next but at least I get to sit down for that :)

cheers,

Carl

It's definitely the pantry now after spending all day yesterday running cables! I don't know how the pros can do that for a living cause I'm aching in places I didn't know existed! :wacko:

The medicinal tinnies came in very handy though, good idea Alan.

Thanks again for the advice, got to decide on which kit next but at least I get to sit down for that :)

cheers,

Carl

bet youve never done such a hard days graft in your life by the sounds of it :lol: :lol: :lol:

bet youve never done such a hard days graft in your life by the sounds of it :lol: :lol: :lol:

id either go depending on your knowledge and expertise/experience in the alarm field texecom veritas r8 as that relativley easy to setup especially for begginers (no offence intended if your experienced, or the galaxy panels as they give so much more option available to you. but that would be difficult if your new to alarms or havent used galaxy beore. hope this helps

cheers satsuma

"If you carry your childhood with you, you never become old. Why rush to end life when happiness is in the blissfulness of childhood innocence."

"We all die, the goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will."

Thanks for the info Satsuma, I'll check out those panels. I'd also shortlisted the Scantronics 9651 & 9751 as I'm looking for a hybrid panel so I'll do some comparisons between them (and others I've seen suggested on the forum).

cheers,

Carl

Thanks for the info Satsuma, I'll check out those panels. I'd also shortlisted the Scantronics 9651 & 9751 as I'm looking for a hybrid panel so I'll do some comparisons between them (and others I've seen suggested on the forum).

cheers,

Carl

9651 not a hybrid. 9751 ok, and up to 2km radio with the right bits!!

Depends on what you want it all to do.

Risco CPX panel is hybrid :whistle:

Kevin Scott. Owner of KK Alarms...... Installation .. Service .. Repair ...... Thoughout.. Northumberland and North Tyneside ..... Tel:01670 361948 (call diverted after 15 seconds) or 07947444114

9651 not a hybrid. 9751 ok, and up to 2km radio with the right bits!!

Depends on what you want it all to do.

Thanks for letting me know, I'll scrub the 9651 from the list. 2km should just above cover the house :lol:

Risco CPX panel is hybrid :whistle:

Thanks, I'll add it to the ever growing shortlist :)

cheers,

Carl

Thanks for letting me know, I'll scrub the 9651 from the list. 2km should just above cover the house :lol:

Thanks, I'll add it to the ever growing shortlist :)

cheers,

Carl

seems to me along with the 'tinnies' you need a fishing stoll while you contemplate.

tbh due to the current En standards most modern alarm panels just like cars or washing machines are the same meat different gravy - until that is you get to the programming. so best youpick a panel you have some chance to understand because trust me, even very experience engineers often end up pulling their hair out when they step outside their 'comfort' zone to an unfamiliar panel.

the Gardec cpx (aka 490 which is a metal case version) is absolutely excellent value for money nad has a good following amongst the trade having a simple form of a voice dialler (VoCom) included on board, but has to be said it is a litle obscure to understand, even for the trained let alone a novice regarding the radio section especially.

as much as it pains me to say, the texecom is possibly your best choice from that point of view - well thats if you want it working by christmas eve -------2012 :cold2: .

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the advice and assistance. Good point about support Redbull, I'd (naively) assumed all companies would provide reasonable support to DIY installers so that's well worth knowing.

cheers,

Carl

Archived