Security Installer Community

Speaker Output On Galaxy

mick m

im having trouble making a speaker work on a galaxy 500 panel. when i put the wires in the horn connections nothing happens, or when i put them in an output same again (programmed as horn).

edit: since posting i was testing by using the option 32 test outputs (17 horn and 18 e/e horn) = nothing. but when setting (code + A) voila! it works (from the horn output on the main pcb), so i know the speaker is ok.

but i want to wire the speaker off a rio, and use it as for chime. the manual says use a 3.3K pull-up resistor, still no luck. any ideas please?

you cant run a normal speaker from an output. A spk requires AC (the horn output) a rio and all the other outputs provide a pulsed dc output. YOu will need a buzzer or a driver for that speaker. They are called hi lo sounders, we used to use a CK model but now use a ventcroft one that emits a constant tone on its low input that mimics the main speaker noise

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
you cant run a normal speaker from an output. A spk requires AC (the horn output) a rio and all the other outputs provide a pulsed dc output. YOu will need a buzzer or a driver for that speaker. They are called hi lo sounders, we used to use a CK model but now use a ventcroft one that emits a constant tone on its low input that mimics the main speaker noise

You mean the ventcroft one that the micro switch falls out as its not fixed in at all, just sort of slots in a hole.

We have been using them for a while due to the very low current in alarm, but now back onto the CK ones.

Archived