Security Installer Community

Cctv

wilks121

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

My 5 cameras are running through my PC based DVR (all it runs is the cameras and i-Catcher Console) with liquid cooling, stable as a 6 legged horse! No neons or spinny things tho, just a bog standard pentium 4 2.4gb with 1gb ram, 1 x 30gb hdd running XP, 2 x 1tb storage drives and a DVD burner.

Thanks guys,

Ive already dissed the internal fan but its the transformer fan that makes the noise and cant diss that as its sealed.

Have spoken to SQ and their new ALIEN DVR hasnt got a fan! so watch this space and Ill test drive it and let you know how it is.

The alien is silent, got one here i had on test, dont get one its absolutley //.B.W.F.//. Keep meaning to phone them see if they will swap it.

I really can't be ar**** with it anymore.

Guest anguscanplay
The alien is silent, got one here i had on test, dont get one its absolutley //.B.W.F.//. Keep meaning to phone them see if they will swap it.

alien or alien plus?

Can you tell me what you don't like about the DVR? The AlienPro is only just about to be released so you can only have the standard DSD105?

Paul.

System Q Ltd.

The look and feel of it is good, i would even say very good.

It is silent and was very impressed by that but the recorded image is poor. On that week when i tested it i also had your video vault and an LJD zeus as i was after a low cost unit for domestics.

The video vault gave a better image than the alien but because i would need such a big hard drive for the video vault it would no longer be a low cost option for the domestic market.

The Zeus had the best image but by far the most noisey fan i had heard, although they have changed that now.

I did phone your company to enquire about the image and was told, as i had already worked out, there are no settings to adjust.

It may be a good unit for using with a mobile phone but we still need the recorded image to be good.

Im not trying to slate SQ in anyway, just saying it, how it is.

Best regards

Adi

Whats the alienpro dvr?

By the way the BWF in me other reply was not a bad word, honest.

I really can't be ar**** with it anymore.

The look and feel of it is good, i would even say very good.

It is silent and was very impressed by that but the recorded image is poor. On that week when i tested it i also had your video vault and an LJD zeus as i was after a low cost unit for domestics.

The video vault gave a better image than the alien but because i would need such a big hard drive for the video vault it would no longer be a low cost option for the domestic market.

The Zeus had the best image but by far the most noisey fan i had heard, although they have changed that now.

I did phone your company to enquire about the image and was told, as i had already worked out, there are no settings to adjust.

It may be a good unit for using with a mobile phone but we still need the recorded image to be good.

Im not trying to slate SQ in anyway, just saying it, how it is.

Best regards

Adi

Whats the alienpro dvr?

By the way the BWF in me other reply was not a bad word, honest.

Hi Adi.

The Alien Standard DVR has more or less an identical picture quality to the video vault. Side by side I can’t tell them apart. The video vault was a JPEG based machine but we have stopped all Networked Jpeg DVRs as to be honest its old technology and H264 is 5 times faster over a network and the same HD will record for 5 times longer. H264 is used buy SKY HD, BBC HD to name just two. The BBC’s IPLAYER is also going to H264 for better performance so you can see H264 is the way forward.

The only non-H264 DVR that we will do is the SimplySmart a really tiny

System Q Ltd.

Archived