Security Installer Community

Ddns On Jpeg 2000 Dvrs

satsuma01

whos set up a j peg 2000 dvr with the following registration site as i dont know what else to try to get it to connect ive got no problems here at home connecting via this sites ddns coinnection setup but take the laptop out of the router swetip and connect on an outside connection via another persons internet connection and it just wont connect. where am i going rong

www.j2kdvr.com

ps forgot to add its a netgear that is installed at the home and our dvr is connected to this as well. dg834g adsl router

dvr connects fine on lan through ddns setting but not from another internet connection HHHHHHEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLPPPPPPP!!! its driving me MAD!!!

"If you carry your childhood with you, you never become old. Why rush to end life when happiness is in the blissfulness of childhood innocence."

"We all die, the goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will."

don't you need to 'port forward' required ports to you dvr? usually 80 for video and 1024 for sound i think some need 3 ports

(this is not one of my strong points)

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

whos set up a j peg 2000 dvr with the following registration site as i dont know what else to try to get it to connect ive got no problems here at home connecting via this sites ddns coinnection setup but take the laptop out of the router swetip and connect on an outside connection via another persons internet connection and it just wont connect. where am i going rong

www.j2kdvr.com

ps forgot to add its a netgear that is installed at the home and our dvr is connected to this as well. dg834g adsl router

dvr connects fine on lan through ddns setting but not from another internet connection HHHHHHEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLPPPPPPP!!! its driving me MAD!!!

Colin.

You need to use the client software on this DVR rather than IE if thats what your using.

I don't know which distributor you bought the DVR from but on our JPEG200 models we only recommend the Client software for remote connection not IE as its a far more reliable connection than IE.

For DDNS follow this tip.

Paul.

TechnicalTip_0056.pdf

System Q Ltd.

• 2 weeks later...

Have used www.j2kdvr.com for years with no problems at all

The problem with client software is your client hasnt got that with them when they want to log in from someones internet when theyre away on hols etc

Colin.

You need to use the client software on this DVR rather than IE if thats what your using.

I don't know which distributor you bought the DVR from but on our JPEG200 models we only recommend the Client software for remote connection not IE as its a far more reliable connection than IE.

For DDNS follow this tip.

Paul.

thankyou very much for that paul, its much appreciated.

"If you carry your childhood with you, you never become old. Why rush to end life when happiness is in the blissfulness of childhood innocence."

"We all die, the goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will."

LAN connection is by far the easiest as you are on the right side of the firewall.

When I've had to set up laptops to work for office connection and home connection, I set up 2 accounts on the lappy and label them accordingly. I tend to 'reserve' the network IP address in the router programming, of any DVR I install by programming the router to give a dedicated network IP address to the MAC address of the DVR. This ensures the DVR will always retain the same network IP address if it is disconnected for any reason. This is under ADVANCED/LAN IP Setup on the Netgear programming page.

For outside connection through the firewall, simply add a 'custom service' to the 'SERVICES' page on the router. Add a name (DVR lol), sselect TCP/UDP, and enter the port number used by the DVR to both boxes (Start/End). If theres other port numbers the DVR requires, add seperate services for those.

When done, click Apply, and go to 'Content Filtering' on the router programming page and select 'Firewall Rules'. There, you can add your new services you just created, changing 'Action' to 'Allow All', and where it says LAN USERS, select 'Single Address', and stick the network IP address the DVR is using/connected to in the box below it.

You will need to do this for each service you add. Provided you have hit the 'Apply' button when each page is complete, this will allow data travelling on the stated ports to be channelled through the firewall, and to the IP address you entered (the one the DVR is using) when you connect to site via the 'EXTERNAL (Public) IP ADDRESS'. I've seen people trying to connect to site whilst still trying to use the Network IP address and not the Public IP address. Hence why I set up 2 seperate accounts on laptops. One for 'Office' and one for 'Home' as examples.

Works a treat if you have a fixed public IP address so should work if DDNS is enabled and working correctly.

I'm sure someone will blast me and say this is not required or a waste of time. But I don't get any callbacks from customers unless they are changing providers or having major IT works done.

ACE.gif

• 3 months later...

Hi, found that setting up a dynDNS with the router (Draytek) , then simply entering the Dyndns address into the j2000 software transmitter or what ever, so instead of entering ip, enter for e.g "mydvr.mine.nu" in the ip box.

port number as is, port opened and routed to dvr ip in router setup.

This saves the usual messing of the website.

:rolleyes:

Archived