Security Installer Community

Using Cctv Systems For Custom Software

memo

Hi all, I write custom audio/visual interactive software connecting multiple cameras to a PC and programming in C++ to analyze the camera feeds and output audio and visuals. Up to now I have been using upto 6 firewire cameras daisy chained together, but would like to switch to using standard CCTV cameras.

I don't know much about surveillance systems but it seems I have two routes, but would like some advice:

- IP Cameras: Are these an option? Could I setup a router, connect 10 cameras, and then access all video feeds from a PC?

- PCI DVR Cards: I see a number of PCI DVR cards around which allow connecting of upto 16 BNC cameras. These look great, but I don't need their recording / monitoring software. Do the drivers for these cards allow me to access the raw feeds from my own code?

Essentially I would need to be able to access the raw data of the feed (RGB data for all pixels) in realtime - so no recording necessary. In my own code I will do motion analysis (frame differencing, optical flow etc.) to produce bespoke visuals and audio..

Any advice on the matter appreciated,

cheers,

hi memo welcome to the forum

If you used IP cameras such as the axis then you woud be able to pull images via jpeg or push mjpeg. I dont think you can pull raw images of the http interface but once you have a low compressed jpeg you can manipulate that i your code.

DVR cards id avoid for you application. But yes if you have a windows driver they do expose the inputs as video inputs to windows and you can manipulate as required. Personally id got the ip camera route, much more flexible. YOu could also look at ip compressors that take 1 or 4 video inputs and then you could still use http. Wold allow you cameras to be remote from the machine running your code.

We do something similar but in c# but always over ip. If your dead set on the video input way id advise a hauppage or osprey card. I have used these and gfx cards with video inputs on windows. You could also use a single input and switch the video depending on the speed you require.

James

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

• 2 weeks later...
I have two routes, but would like some advice:

IP Cameras or PCI DVR Cards

This year IP cameras have about 18% penetration in Europe and about 10% in US. So it will take years till the most installers will switch to IP.

Archived