Security Installer Community

What Are Zones

mummyneh

Guest RJBsec

Zones generally are assigned to each detector, be it door or window contact or movement sensor - detection devices.

As camerabloke says it is not possible to say specifically how many zones are required for your house.

However in most 'average' 3-bed homes 8-10 zones, or detection devices, would provide a reasonable level of intruder detection.

Zones generally are assigned to each detector, be it door or window contact or movement sensor - detection devices.

EN50131: "Zone - assessed area where abnormal conditions may be detected" :hmm:

So it should be a 8 circuit alarm panel :cold2:

There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots.

i dont think any one can tell you that without looking at the premises.

for instance i have a three bed house with 27 zones on it

bloomin heck camerabloke have you got a zone for each door and window seperately, plus a detector in each room plus a stairs pressure mat and a smoke cloak fitted in the garage :slackjaw1:

"If you carry your childhood with you, you never become old. Why rush to end life when happiness is in the blissfulness of childhood innocence."

"We all die, the goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will."

ion that basis i'd need a 20 zone'er for my guts - after a curry :cold2:

alarms used to have the detction on closed circuits, so panels would be called 2 circuit 4 cct and so on.

'zones' used to mean an area of alarm detection perhaps with 2 or more circuits in it, so main shop, garage, stores. 1st floor etc.

with the advent of the modern mass produced multi-zone panels, it allowed us as said above each detector to be on a circuit, and the cct reference got replaced with 'zone'. these multi-zone panels greatly reduces expensive labour times when fault finding/diagnostics , as now we know the problem is comming from a specific area (zone), not as before an area that was unspecific on single circuits.

basic advice rules =

1 electronic detector i.e. pir, glass break. vibration (preferably) per alarm panel zone

recommended for door contacts to, as if there is more than one on a zone and a fault occurs, you need omlt only one door until you fix it, but you can have several contacts per zone, i would not exceed 3 and only then if i had zone availability limitations.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Guest RJBsec

So it should be a 8 circuit alarm panel :cold2:

Yes, keeping things simple for JP, JP!

Hi,

I have searched the net to understand what zones are on a burglar alarm, most alarms have 8 zones. I have a 3 bed house would 8 - 10 zones be enough and how does that work/

Thanks

Neh

I'm not trying to be unhelpful but dont you think this guy who "can professionally install for minimal cost" should have a rough idea of what's what?

A good security system is not about putting up a few passives (location, type, every property is different). What back up will you get. How much do your local council charge for disabling a persistant sounding alarm?

Do you need passives? Would trap or perimeter protection suit better? Horses for courses.

I'm all for DIY, I fitted an outside tap this weekend. At least I know I won't get a

• 3 years later...

Archived