Security Installer Community

Pc Anti Virus Software

arfur mo

Guest RJBsec
I'm affraid that somehow, you have misinterpreted my post. I didn't advise people not to use anti-virus software. So no idea why you came to the conclusion that I had done so. If you read it again, I did mention that if you are vigilant with your browsing and attatchment opening, you could ALMOST get away without one.

Unless you were stating of course that it's bad advice to run Norton whilst your PC is in safe mode. But I did point out that I wasn't sure about that but id did sound as though it made sense.

So I'm irresponsible yes?

:console:

No further comment, sorry - except to reiterate that I said it was not personal.

AVG free edition came top in the PC Magazine AV software tests. Norton and McAfee were left trailing.

norton is just a resource hog, and not good at its job.

Sophos is good, but can be too restrictive. To the point you start disabling features or at least reducing level of scans. - Thats when the problem starts.

Many people stick with the AV package that often comes preloaded on machine and therefore don't really have wide experience of other packages.

In reality which package is best type question is never really gonna produce a realistic, clear answer.

Mine checks for updates hourly

If mine checked every hour I'd never get any work done!

On the work machine Stu??

Work machine is a laptop. I work from home and backup regularly. I'm also responsible for its upkeep.

It doesn't really matter what anti-virus you use so long as its updated on a regularly and regular scans are done. I don't allow the anti-virus to do anything automatically. If I do it myself I know its been done.

What I would say is to buy a cheap usb memory stick and dump any important files onto it. Its a real bugger trying to salvage needed work from windows recovery mode.

So my best advise would be, whether its bought or free, update and scan regularly.

Kind regards

Stuart Onley

SAMS Consultancy

Independent Security Consultants

email:enquiries@samsconsultancy.co.uk

My advice is stay with Kaspersky but if you have to move on the basis of not understanding a warning move to NOD32.

Free (and most paid products) just don't have the update frequency required for today's Internet environment, let alone the quality of the product itself..

the program scores high on most the mag charts, many complain about its lack of user friendliness, like i say had real problems with it reporting INVADER but could not get the program to deal with it no matter what i tried. online help was not much use either. tbh was like using norton, seemingly needless pop ups all over the place, take the default action then the nmachine won't work :fear:

so i've removed kasperski to try microsofts offering on 90 days free trial (they conflict). since doing so, booting up is far quicker and noticeably less annoying pausing in programs, now wondering if kasperski had a corruption so might go back to it if ms av don't work out.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

since no one rose to the bait.......

nowt on it, I be gutted if I'd spent 250 notes on it..

Try another one just to make sure :whistle:

BitDefender

Use the full version here, also all incoming/outgoing emails are also scanned by our ISP :rolleyes:

http://anti-virus-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots.

If mine checked every hour I'd never get any work done!

Work machine is a laptop. I work from home and backup regularly. I'm also responsible for its upkeep.

It doesn't really matter what anti-virus you use so long as its updated on a regularly and regular scans are done. I don't allow the anti-virus to do anything automatically. If I do it myself I know its been done.

What I would say is to buy a cheap usb memory stick and dump any important files onto it. Its a real bugger trying to salvage needed work from windows recovery mode.

So my best advise would be, whether its bought or free, update and scan regularly.

AVG (free) on work machine???

the program scores high on most the mag charts, many complain about its lack of user friendliness, like i say had real problems with it reporting INVADER but could not get the program to deal with it no matter what i tried. online help was not much use either. tbh was like using norton, seemingly needless pop ups all over the place, take the default action then the nmachine won't work :fear:

so i've removed kasperski to try microsofts offering on 90 days free trial (they conflict). since doing so, booting up is far quicker and noticeably less annoying pausing in programs, now wondering if kasperski had a corruption so might go back to it if ms av don't work out.

regs

alan

I suppose someone had to use the MS offering eventually arf.

Kaspersky is good, and quick in comparison to many others too.

On the work machine Stu??

Yes on the works machine. The company I work for didn't supply any anti-virus an I am responsible for the laptop. Since I am conscious of viruses, I have used avg for a number of years. Why pay for it if you can get it free!

Kind regards

Stuart Onley

SAMS Consultancy

Independent Security Consultants

email:enquiries@samsconsultancy.co.uk

Yes on the works machine. The company I work for didn't supply any anti-virus an I am responsible for the laptop. Since I am conscious of viruses, I have used avg for a number of years. Why pay for it if you can get it free!

it's surprising how many do run without any AV software, the niece of my next door nieghbour got a laptop for colledge, her mate borrows it, and must have went on any and every site. net result lappy was very sick indeed, could hardly load the operating system in 10 minutes.

so loaded avg from a stick, after some 3 hours checking it reported in excess of 15000 yes 15000 viruses, trojans, mailware etc. took over 6 hours and umpteen reboots to get it cleaned, i'm told it was borrowed only for a weekend to do sone course work :cold2:

AVG is ok imo, just for buisness i wanted stronger protection. early days yet but so far MS AV ok, uses one machine as a server for central backup of the other machines and runs optimsation on the hoof - have to see how it go's as a 3 licence deal is

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Archived