Security Installer Community

Genie Cctv Cameras

zs123

The only problem with them is theyre overpriced, I can get the same camera elsewhere cheaper :whistle:

No ian.

The above was OK until the comma.

Therafter you started off on a "I can get it cheaper than you" tangent.

Stuart while i see you like to use this forum to advertise your business, i wont be swayed into buying form you thank you.

I am sure your offering a cracking service but my current supplier more than meets all my expectations some of which i know you cannot match!

And there is no need for that put down either IMO

I for one don't think Stuart is doing anything of the sort.

cheers

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My old company who I worked for 'Sentry Alarms', committed themselves to Genie's range of products. Their external anti-vandal domes are very good. I had one or two that let in moisture over the years we fitted the kit and that would have been maybe a 2% failure rate. But that could have been down to installation and not the cameras themselves. Their DVR's are good too. I was very impressed with their ease of use. Genie is very underrated in the trade. I'd use them again if it was my choice. Not only that, their tech support is decent and their sales director Alison, well, she knew her stuff and to be honest, she always popped in to see how we were all doing. You don't get that service from many suppliers these days. Very friendly indeed was Genie.

10 out of 10. Been some years since I've seen a supplier look after their customer with a top notch service.

Oh, and did I mention that they will come down and show you their latest kit for free! I say free as my old boss at Sentry wouldn't do anything if it cost him.

ACE.gif

I would say the only way they can be exactly the same is if they have genie badges on em.

I have seen things supposedly be 'exactly' the same but cheaper before.

Not saying they arnt similar but all these oem products have slightly different products inside. Its only recently i have learnt about how there are about 15 different variant of the sony 1/3 chipset. Muchless all the other bits inside.

James

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

I would say the only way they can be exactly the same is if they have genie badges on em.

I have seen things supposedly be 'exactly' the same but cheaper before.

Not saying they arnt similar but all these oem products have slightly different products inside. Its only recently i have learnt about how there are about 15 different variant of the sony 1/3 chipset. Muchless all the other bits inside.

James

I'm wondering if it works the opposite way too with 15 different variants of Sony models without the Sony branding. Like Sony TVs as an example. Sony make about 60% of their TV models themselves, and have third parties make other models quite simply due to costs, factory space and staff. Some models are made elswhere at sort of agency factories in the far east. Manufacture of some models is sort of 'subbied out'.

BEKO secure a deal to make 20,000 TV sets for SONY. But are allowed to make an additional 2,000 (10%) which BEKO badge up themselves and sell for far less than the SONY branded units. If you do some digging, you can buy SONY TV's with the BEKO badge on them. I believe that SONY now own BEKO, but they used to be an independent manufacturer making popular models under licence for bigger companies. The same applied with AIWA with SONY's audio manufacturing.

ACE.gif

I know that different countries and plats get access to different chips, ie the best sony chips do not go to china etc.

I suppose its like intel keeping its best processors at testing time for the extreme badges etc, suppose they let the bad ones out as non intel lol

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Stuart while i see you like to use this forum to advertise your business, i wont be swayed into buying form you thank you.

I am sure your offering a cracking service but my current supplier more than meets all my expectations some of which i know you cannot match!

Ian

A couple of points:

1. I am not using this forum to sell equipment. I don't deny that I have contacted members via the personal messaging service but that is between me and those people if anything comes from it.

2. I am using this forum as a way of offering my current and past knowledge of products and scenario in the hope that it will be of benefit to someone. My knowledge comes from technical roles within various sectors, security and traffic and though I don't claim to be an expert in either, I am knowledgeable, know the various products and where best they might be suitable.

3. How can you say that my company does not meet your expectations when you have never bought anything from me! If you had bought something and you had had bad service or advice, then you would have a legitimate reason to make that statement.

My philosophy is that I'd like to sell all my products to everyone who uses this forum but not always my products are suitable for the application. I pride myself in providing a solution to a given problem. If I sell something thats a bonus but I'd rather that my contacts are happy with a solution I provide, even if that means directing them to a rival supplier.

What many companies technical teams and salesmen do especially in this industry is if you ask them something and they don't do that, will they tell you where to look or provide you with contact details? Some do, some don't.

If they don't point you in the right direction, your back to square one with an agressive attitude towards that person whom blatantly told you no! I'd much rather end a conversation with you happy.

But I am digressing from the original point made of this thread. Genie are very good products and their products have been around for a number of years. My personal experience of them has always been good, from a technical standpoint so the original point

"Why buy overpriced Genie branded cameras when i can buy exactly the same camera in the same housing elswhere much cheaper with all the pre & post sales support, onsite technical backup (if needed) i can wish for."

is down to personal preference. Do you get a good service, good pricing, good technical backup from them? If the answer is yes, why look to change. The old saying "if its not broke, don't fix it" springs to mind. Now I am certain that you probably could get the same cameras as Genie, with good technical support, reliability etc... but will you get the same level of service from the salesman, technical staff?

Anyway enough of my ranting.

Kind regards

Stuart Onley

SAMS Consultancy

Independent Security Consultants

email:enquiries@samsconsultancy.co.uk

Stuart theres no need to rant, but if you feel the need i dont have a problem with that either.

It seems that its ok to have an opinion now so i will add mine.

You say your not using the forum to sell then why have your email & your company web site on display.

I dont have a problem with that, if thats your choice fine by me.

Try my cameras then Ian. Quality and reliability is good, competitively priced. I'm not the cheapest nor the most expensive but we are all from a technical background whether alarms, fire or cctv and offer good telephone or onsite support.

Thats not selling your wares either is it?

How can you say that my company does not meet your expectations

Do you have a branch in the North East of England, somewhere i can walk in and buy off the shelf on Monday morning?

Somewhere i can get to know the staff and they can get to know me? Didnt think so! Thats what i expect from my suppliers.

Like i said Stuart im pretty sure your company offers a cracking service but it doesnt meet my expectations. Thats not a slight on your company just a fact.

James i would agree with what you said there,

, if i took the sticker off you wouldnt know the difference. However System Q knock the same basic camera out but that is a beefier version with better housing and plastics etc. I wouldnt call that the same camera but i doubt theres much difference between the images, ive not tried them side by side.

BTW are you saying Sony wont sell the better chips to China?

D you have a branch in the North East of England, somewhere i can walk in and buy off the shelf on Monday morning?

Somewhere i can get to know the staff and they can get to know me? Didnt think so! Thats what i expect from my suppliers.

Hi Ian

To answer your question, no we don't have a branch in the north east but I have customers in newcastle and hartlepool so agree to meet me and we can discuss issues.

My company details are on here as a point of contact should anyone wish to contact me regarding any issue. I have also made it clear on a number of occasions that I am ex-dm and ex-gardiner technical support and I am willing to help where I can, so I provide contact details.

Kind regards

Stuart Onley

SAMS Consultancy

Independent Security Consultants

email:enquiries@samsconsultancy.co.uk

Archived