Security Installer Community

Average Hourly Rate

No one seems to be mentioning a mileage charge, it must cost 50p a mile or more to run a decent car or van ! would any of you employed guys run your own cars for free. as for 20 mile average return journey............... is that for real ?

There really are subbies out there working for

Guest anguscanplay
What areas do you cover angus?

Sheffield postcodes only (and then no further north than J36 of the M1) point "subs .. " misses is he can blame whoever he wants but thats what WE pay and it`s more than they would earn as an employee, sure you may earn more once or twice but the only work paying the kind of figures some of the guys claim consistently is night time work on supermarket builds .......and who wants to do that?

Chris - you dont get holidays LOL thats the point of been a subby

• 4 months later...
Sheffield postcodes only (and then no further north than J36 of the M1) point "subs .. " misses is he can blame whoever he wants but thats what WE pay and it`s more than they would earn as an employee, sure you may earn more once or twice but the only work paying the kind of figures some of the guys claim consistently is night time work on supermarket builds .......and who wants to do that?

Chris - you dont get holidays LOL thats the point of been a subby

As I see it, there are 2 kinds of subbies, the ones who work for you all or most of the time - or when it suits you. you tell them how much you pay, they have a job, without any of the benefit.

The other kind, treat it as a business, and charge you accordingly. Give you a proper ' service ' liase with your clients, suppliers etc if neccesary, and sort problems for themselves, leaving you more time to sell systems, and keep them in work. They dont expect you to keep them employed all of the time. Know what theyre doing, or at least find out, because thats what theyre charging you for.

If you pay peanuts, expect to get ...........well, people who eat peanuts !

As I see it, there are 2 kinds of subbies, the ones who work for you all or most of the time - or when it suits you. you tell them how much you pay, they have a job, without any of the benefit.

The other kind, treat it as a business, and charge you accordingly. Give you a proper ' service ' liase with your clients, suppliers etc if neccesary, and sort problems for themselves, leaving you more time to sell systems, and keep them in work. They dont expect you to keep them employed all of the time. Know what theyre doing, or at least find out, because thats what theyre charging you for.

If you pay peanuts, expect to get ...........well, people who eat peanuts !

This should be the only type of subbie these days.

The first type you mention are effectively employed and I thought the revenue put a stop to it.

Paying peanuts applies to employees & subbies alike.

I'm sure I've said something similar to this before, but here goes anyway:

If you're working on contract rates (paid by the hour or day) then a good rule of thumb is:

What salary would you expect to be employed to do this (with holidays, sick pay, pension etc.)?

Divide that by 1000 to get your hourly rate.

So if it's a 30 grand salary job, charge at least

If you're working on contract rates (paid by the hour or day) then a good rule of thumb is:

What salary would you expect to be employed to do this (with holidays, sick pay, pension etc.)?

Guest anguscanplay

Archived