Security Installer Community

How To Tell How Many Lines Of A Camera?

kai

Ok, I've just had some news back from my installers and the gist of it is this:

They basically supply two different cameras, both have 1/3" CCD, one is 420TVL and the other is 520TVL. They reckon that 95% of their customers have 420TVL as they are cheaper and people cannot detect the difference in image quality. They now admit that they have installed the wrong cameras for me, but have charged me a price (I haven't paid yet) for 520TVL cameras.

They are offering to do one of two things, adjust the quote price or reinstall all correct cameras. The price differential isn't that much that they are offering to adjust in my opinion.

I am considering getting them to switch all cameras as I can't say that I'm hugely impressed with the image quality that I have at the moment.

Anyone else think that this is the right way to go?

Once this mess is all sorted out, I'll let people know who these people are.

Main criteria may be fixed verses varifocal, fixed you get what the camera sees, end of; if you have verifocal then you can adjust it to get what you want to see, which may be a closer view of your car, gateway or entrance etc, which could be more important than TVL or a price adjustment. If they quoted for varifocal 520TVL (although LJD would be 540 accorcing to their website) then the existing cameras are definitely not to spec.

Not surprised that LJD won't help!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LJD quote 540 but in fact they are 520.

This inst ljd at fault its the installers, but i agree with you, if it was ljd's fault......

I really can't be ar**** with it anymore.

I think that the cameras are from LJD too as that's where the DVR is from (there's a big LJD sticker on it).

Are you saying that in either case it's 540TV lines? Which surpasses the 520TV lines that I was quoted for? I don't think that the cameras are varifocal.

I would say that the images aren't actually that clear to be honest. I have seen better. The issue isn't the cabling as I did had that done independently with very high quality RG59 coax.

Edit: and now I have just been denied in my quest to find out what cameras I have. LJD point balnk refuse to help me out over this matter since I am not in the CCTV trade. I don't know if anyone here in the trade can be so kind to help me get the correct specs of this camera?

Another thing that has come to my attention is this: Basically the job was supposed to be completed before today (12th May), however they didn't read the email I sent them that stated this and they booked in the job for 13th May and so I actually just accepted this. However, they gave me a call later on that day (Thursday 8th May) to say that they were in the wrong and so would rush someone out to get the job done. However, they didn't have enough cameras in stock and so would be delivering the cameras directly to my premises and the installer would do the install. I have been looking on the LJD website and I have noticed that on their armour dome camera section, the camera 'Armour Dome 520 TVL IR LED VariFocal Dual Ring' (Model: LJDEYE-101VFHBL) which seems to match what's on my spec sheet I was given, is listed as out of stock and was listed as out of stock on the the 8th May too. This does make me feel a little bit uneasy as I have my suspicions that they couldn't get that camera in on time (thier fault already) and decided to go with this other model and hoping that I wouldn't notice.

I have yet to hear back from the company that have done the install.

LJD advertise their camera at 540 but on the spec sheet its 520, personally nothing id worry about. I have one of these hooked up to a dvr in me office and it gives a very good picture.

In stock / out of stock on their sight means nothing, so dont worry about that.

I agree with ljd, as will others on here, its not there problem.

I really can't be ar**** with it anymore.

LJD advertise their camera at 540 but on the spec sheet its 520, personally nothing id worry about. I have one of these hooked up to a dvr in me office and it gives a very good picture.

In stock / out of stock on their sight means nothing, so dont worry about that.

I agree with ljd, as will others on here, its not there problem.

I wasn't ever insinuating that it's LJD's fault at all. I was a little bit more dismayed by the fact that LJD were so uncooperative when all I wanted was to get some facts straight. (If they can disclose whether or not there's a printing error with the specifications as claimed)

• 2 months later...

Back from the dead!

I've finally managed to get teh cameras changed over. They are still from LJD, but I still don't know if they are the right ones. The only feature these new cameras have are that they are quite a lot bigger than the previous ones and also they allow for varifocal, whereas the previous ones were fixed. I managed to obtain the specification booklet inside with the camera, but it still sheds no clue on what the camera specification is exactly. There are no model numbers on the camera itself apart from LJD-005 or seomthing like that (I can't quite remember). I have uploaded a picture of the specifications:

23072008002bi2.th.jpg

After everything was done, to be honest, I can't tell much if any difference at all to the images that I previously got with the cheaper cameras. The supplier insists that these are the right ones, 520/540 TVLines, 1/3" CCD. I'm uncertain, but have no way of proving it, short of hiring out an independent expert.

I cant remeber if you said these were installed by an approved comapny or not, but its simple to prove ask them for a rotakin test, the problem with these unbranded cameras is that many modules are used in the same case, and the cases arnt marked, ie you could have a 420 tvl module inside. A bosch or panasonic etc is marked on it what it is.

For example see an attached just taken shot from a Bosch at 704x576 high res 480 tvl camera (in colour mode) I have edited the reg's

post-17355-1216829883_thumb.jpg

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Hi Kai,

My name is Matt from LJD, I have seen your posts and am willing to listen.

As a manufacturer & distributor we do not deal directly withend users and this is common practice within the industry as a whole. I am sure the guys who have posted would agree this causes conflict of interest within our channel. The installers role in the process is to offer their expertise in design,offer understanding of product/technology, recomending equipment and most of all delivering a solution that meets agreed expectations which is not our business mould. I can't comment on how the system was specified, sold and installed and would be unfair to do so not knowing the full details but, I would be more than happy to advise with your assistance on what products you were sold and their specifications.

If you want to give me a call on 02392 488300 I would be happy to speak with you

Kind Regards

Matt

Finally, if push comes to shove I'll try hiring out an independent CCTV professional who knows his stuff... I'm willing to stand my ground and will name and shame depending on treatment or I will congratulate and recommend if everything gets resolved amicably.
Once this mess is all sorted out, I'll let people know who these people are.

kai

glad to see you are getting somewhere with this issue now and thanks to Matt from LJD for offering to talk to you directly.

HOWEVER in relation to the above from your previous posts we DO NOT allow naming and shaming on the forum :no: , please see here -

http://www.thesecurityinstaller.co.uk/comm...7&hl=naming

Thanks,

C.

:)

• 2 months later...

I would ask for a large amount off or replace the cameras.

They may settle for the large amount off rather than spending more labour to replace them and ending up with some second hand cameras.

Either way you have been inconvenienced and should be compensated for your time in sorting this out.

Archived