Security Installer Community

How To Tell How Many Lines Of A Camera?

kai

Hi there,

I've just had an install done and I was quoted for 1/3" CCD / 520TV Lines on each camera. However, I've had a look at the spec sheets and it states 1/4" CCD and 420TV Lines. Model number: B-CIR-BA43P. I spoke to the installer and he reckons it's a printing error and I've got what they've quoted. However, I'm not so sure. I don't want to be ripped off so I want to check. So how do you check how many TV lines a camera outputs?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

edit: Oh I just remembered another thing. He said that the DVR was capable of 4CIF instead of just CIF. how can I check this out? The model of the DVR is an Apollo, on the big box, the part number is: 1216042021021200. Or amybe the 4CIF thing is just cobblers?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is it one of these?

IR_Dome_Camera.jpg

Specification shows (at several suppliers):-

Yep. The question is how do I prove that I've got 420TV lines when I was quoted a price for 520 TV Lines? I'm also a little bit worried because on the box it says, "cutting cable voids warranty" and they were snipping cables off like nobody's business.

He said that the DVR was capable of 4CIF instead of just CIF. how can I check this out? The model of the DVR is an Apollo
Apollo DVR Range Features

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

Yep. The question is how do I prove that I've got 420TV lines when I was quoted a price for 520 TV Lines? I'm also a little bit worried because on the box it says, "cutting cable voids warranty" and they were snipping cables off like nobody's business.

You've got the camera, you've got the spec sheet, the box and the confirmation from the above that the spec is 1/4" 420TVL, what more do you need?

Did you get a written quote - is the 1/3rd 520TVL in writing?

Since you say that they have told you that it's a printing error they would appear to be being less than honest - you have the right to inform your local Trading Standards office if you cannot get a satisfactory solution.

As for cutting the cables, that warranty is between the supplier and the installer, the installer should warranty the installation for you irrespective of the manufacturers warranty.

You've got the camera, you've got the spec sheet, the box and the confirmation from the above that the spec is 1/4" 420TVL, what more do you need?

Did you get a written quote - is the 1/3rd 520TVL in writing?

Since you say that they have told you that it's a printing error they would appear to be being less than honest - you have the right to inform your local Trading Standards office if you cannot get a satisfactory solution.

As for cutting the cables, that warranty is between the supplier and the installer, the installer should warranty the installation for you irrespective of the manufacturers warranty.

Well, that's what I said to him. I have a written quotation (email) with spec sheets of the cameras that I was supposed to be getting. It states quite clearly 1/3" CCD, 520TVL. I asked, he said he's had arguments with his suppliers many times about this, it's a printing error and that was that. I can't say that I'm too pleased with the install to be honest, but I wanted some kind of tangible proof that a camera is a certain type. I haven't paid yet actually, so I guess that's one thing in my favour at the minute. Although the guys who came round to install said that they'd send an invoice, "Don't worry, the boss knows where you live..." Sounds ominous if you ask me...

As above its the installers choice to cut the cables rather than use power pins. But you will need a resolution chart to test the resolution. 520tvl is a very high resolution and only certain chips can resolve that level of detail. Most High resolution colour cameras are 480tvl. I suppose one easy option is to ask for the correct non printed error spec sheet for the said cameras.

If you have used an approved installer you will have the backup of their inspectorate in your complaint if its valid. Give the inspectorate a call and ask some general questions before proceding if your unsure.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

As above its the installers choice to cut the cables rather than use power pins. But you will need a resolution chart to test the resolution. 520tvl is a very high resolution and only certain chips can resolve that level of detail. Most High resolution colour cameras are 480tvl. I suppose one easy option is to ask for the correct non printed error spec sheet for the said cameras.

If you have used an approved installer you will have the backup of their inspectorate in your complaint if its valid. Give the inspectorate a call and ask some general questions before proceding if your unsure.

On their website, it links to the 'CCTV code of practice' is that the same thing? How do I know they're an approved installer? How do I contact the inspectorate?

how did you choose them? if they are Approved it means they are inspected by the NSI or the SSAIB, if they are not.... i dont know what you would do to be honest. What made you pick them?

There is a world of difference between the cameras you were quoted for and the ones you appear to have actually got.

My advice would be to email the installer with your concerns, you have a lot of evidence to suggest that the cameras are not what you agreed to.

If I were you I would withhold payment until the installer has proved that the cameras are kosher but email your reasons and do it promptly.

Any decent company would gladly go out of their way to sort this problem out.

Archived