Security Installer Community

I-catcher Console And Port Forwarding

Welung666

Hi newbie here, I've set up 3 cameras at home using i-Catcher console and they work fine but I want to be able to view them remotely over the internet. I have a Sitecom DC202v5 router connected to our Sky/Netgear DG834GT and I just can't get my head around this port forwarding mallarky! Anyone talk me through the easiest way to get it working please?

Hi newbie here, I've set up 3 cameras at home using i-Catcher console and they work fine but I want to be able to view them remotely over the internet. I have a Sitecom DC202v5 router connected to our Sky/Netgear DG834GT and I just can't get my head around this port forwarding mallarky! Anyone talk me through the easiest way to get it working please?

port forwarding mallarky isnt easy :no: your ISP are the best people to talk to (dont go giving your port numbers/IP numbers on here) :fear:

port forwarding mallarky isnt easy :no: your ISP are the best people to talk to (dont go giving your port numbers/IP numbers on here) :fear:

I hadn't planned on divulging any port or IP numbers. I have spoken to my ISP and I now have a fixed IP address to make my life easier. I can log into the Netgear router remotely but it won't let me into the port I'd set for the i-Catcher software to use. It seems to be stuck somewhere between my pc and getting past the Sitecom router. Ho hum, back to portforwarding.com then. Thanks anyway.

How come you are running 2 routers and how are they connected together?

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

How come you are running 2 routers and how are they connected together?

My Netgear is the main DSL modem connected via cat5 to the sitecom as niether of the downstairs pc's are wireless enabled so they are connected to the Sitecom also via cat5 (saves another cat5 cable run halfway round the house!). The main part that confuses me is the difference in the IP address sets of the 2 routers. The Netgear uses the standard 192.168.0.* layout where the Sitecom uses 192.168.123.* and I can't get the virtual server on the Sitecom to forward the port onto the netgear style IP address!

I have a similar set-up with a wired and wireless router, the difference is that I do not use the WAN input on the 2nd (wireless) router I effectively use it as a wireless access point and 4 port switch. Assign the Sitecom router an internal static Lan address in the same range as the Netgear router and connect the cat5 in to one of its LAN ports, also turn off DHCP server on the Sitecom. Anything input to a LAN port is broadcast across the other LAN ports. Anything connected to the Sitecom will get an address assigned by the Netgear(and all in the same range for network sharing).

I would also assign the PC running the I-catcher software a static IP.

Read the attached file, it is for setting up a Dedicated Micros DVR with a Netgear DG834, the port numbers and IP addresses will be different but the principle remains the same.

Regards

Glenn

Netgear_ADSL_Setup_Guide_v1.5.pdf

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Archived