Security Installer Community

nacoss - ssaib

Guest clare-spencer-jones

After looking at various companies in relation to having an alarm fitted, i decided to contact a few. One company in particular was registered with ssaib, whereas the others were in the Nacoss scheme. When i asked the SSAIB company the difference , he said that there was no difference. However my insuarance company will only offer a discount on a nacoss installed alarm. So, are the two "schemes" the same , and if not, whats the difference?

:(

However my insuarance company will only offer a discount on a nacoss installed alarm

Your Insurance company cannot do this, and Pete is correct in stating that the SSAIB will fight your corner.

Both the NSI and SSAIB, have to comply with the same standards of installation and aftercare, so as far as any customer is concerned their is no difference between the two.

Thanks Pete, I know your very proud of your NSI GOLD status. I`m pleased to see you not trying to bias Clare in an NSI direction.

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

Just a quickie to say that I have worked for NSI (NACOSS) firms in the past and currently manage an SSAIB Registered Firm. There is virtually no difference in the Quality Audit & proceedures.

Go for quality. A firm that promises to do its very best to hide cables, make good any holes etc is the one to choose (as well as looking for value for money).

Remeber, a guy in a suit selling / surveying is unlikely to be the one pulling in & hiding cables.

Ask how he's going to get the cables around the house. If he tells you its the Eng's problem, he's only interested in your signature and not too bothered about the end result.

In the short time I've been a member of this site, I would say all of us share a passion for quality and good service towards the client.

Post your location and I'm sure someone around here will be able to help you make your choice.

Best regards

Chris :D

Chris Teague (Sales & Operations Manager) Sightguard Intruder Division

Covering the Isle of Wight: - Design, Installation, Maintenance & Takeover of Intruder Alarms, Fire Alarms & Equipment, CCTV, Access Control, Nursecall. Keyholding Service, Guarding & Cash in Transit. SSAIB & NICEIC Registered Tel 01983 884000 / 884440

Any comments / opinions posted could be the voices in my head speaking, but they are my opinion only and do not represent those of my employer or Company

I live in area called St Helens, Which for anyone who in unsure, it's inbetween Manchester and Liverpool, so any suggestion of any "good" companies in my area.

Thanks for the advice though, i will speak to my insurance again, the lady I spoke to said as far as she was aware it had to be a nacoss approved installer who installed the alarm, so theres a possibility she could be mistaken.

Thanks again.

Guest Andyp

Hi Clare

I work for a SSAIB registered company that has recently come up against this problem when quoting for a large project.

The insurance company later backed down and agreed that 'equal or approved' was acceptable.

I hope you find some one to help you, I am sure there is someone on this site in that area.

Regards

Andy

Bigger the better ..?

The SSAIB (Security Systems and Alarms Inspection Board) now holds accreditation in the areas of intruder alarms, access control, CCTV, alarm receiving centres, manned guarding and key holding and response services.

With all these activities, the SSAIB now says its scope of accreditation is wider than any other similar certification body in the security sector, thereby enabling SSAIB to offer a fully comprehensive service package.

Chief executive officer Geoff Tate said: "Our intention was to build on our existing UKAS (United Kingdom Accreditation Service) recognised certification schemes for electronic security systems, CCTV and alarm receiving centres, thereby extending the range of services we offer to the security industry.

"The extension to our Scope of Accreditation demonstrates our commitment to provide certification schemes for a broad range of manned security services.

"We can now offer certification schemes complemented by ISO 9001: 2000 quality management systems."

B)

Hi Clare

I work for a SSAIB registered company that has recently come up against this problem when quoting for a large project.

The insurance company later backed down and agreed that 'equal or approved' was acceptable.

I hope you find some one to help you, I am sure there is someone on this site in that area.

Regards

Andy

The firm I used to work for was SSAIB. We were told for years by the great Mike Lyndski that SSAIB was good and NACOSS was bad. Then he upped and legged it to NACOSS lol. I guess any man can be bought.

The only real difference between Nacoss and SSAIB is that the SSAIB is allegedly non profit making and was created by the industry where as Nacoss makes money on a vast scale and was created not by the industry but rather than the insurance companies. This is why the scoff at SSAIB. I'm sure Mr Lyndski will digress a new assumption of both now he's found NACOSS to be groovy.

How we used to get around this 'no SSAIB please' from the insurance companies was to install the system and get another firm to certify the install. A pain in the back side indeed but worked on those real important installs that just had to be done.

Tony.

ACE.gif

I live in area called St Helens, Which for anyone who in unsure, it's inbetween Manchester and Liverpool, so any suggestion of any "good" companies in my area.

Thats just down the road from Rainford. Tis a shame David Grant (ACT Meters) doesn't do installs any more. Saying that though, he told me his first alarms were made from Rover buscuit tins. Long before the industry we know today was even thought of.

Tony

ACE.gif

• 2 weeks later...
It's the same old story that it's easy to slag off those that are better than you.

That is and always will be just an opinion, :) The easiest thing to do (and the most un-professional regardless of the topic!) is to 'slag off' the competition. :(

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

If the NSI is non-proffit making, then how come they are the most expensive Inspectorate to belong to..? The only thing that has stopped my boss going to NSI is the extra cost that is involved.

Why cant the NSI lower its costs, If they could match the price of belonging to the SSAIB then they would be the largest Inspectorate in the UK.

Guest Affinity

This member covers your area Clare

Member +

Group: In the Trade

Member No.: 797

Warn: (0%)

Domestic Alarm Systems

Intruder Alarm Systems Installed, Upgraded,

Serviced and Repaired. 24hr Callout

11 Thornton Avenue

Heaton

BOLTON

BL1 5PJ

e-mail Domesticalarm@aol.com

Guest Affinity

oh I forgot it was ssaib or nacoss u were looking at I am not sure if he is got a feeling hes not

You might be interested in this which is from part of a topic we did a few months ago

Decided when I got this far in the posting to do a bit of research for you guys.....

I have just rang five top home insurance companies and asked:-

What are the burglar Alarm requirements for home insurance cover.....

Not one said they required installation by Nacoss Approved Installers

Most said required professional maintenence once a year ..again Nacoss was not a requirement.

One company said ...Only if you are in a high risk area is it compulsory to be professionally maintained.....again Nacoss not a requirement.

In most instances any alarm can be fitted ..Only one said Nacoss approved equipment in some instances but it depended on circumstances.

The companies called were:-Direct Line, A & A, Barclays, Churchill and Halifax

Most offered a discount if it was Nacoss approved and that was the only reason stated for using Nacoss.

So going on the replies from the Insurance Companies the answer to the question is:-

APPROVED OR NOT APPROVED - ITS UP TO THE CUSTOMER TO MAKE HIS CHOICE AND TAKE ANY RISKS THAT MAY BE INVOLVED ONE WAY OR THE OTHER DEPENDING ON REQUIREMENTS.

Oh just to make it clear this was for house insurance............ As for companies and fire etc I know not.

....... but i do know fire alarms if not checked on the due date and a death occurs results in a manslaughter charge........ got this from Paul

Hope this of some use guys...... Have a good day!!!!

Forum: NACOSS · Post Preview: #7842

Linda

To get back on the original subject.....What sort of discount is your insurance company going to give you, 10% perhaps which will probably be about £30 a year, OK great but are they going to insist that you set the system for example if you are out your back garden doing some gardening. Discounts are good but we all know insurance companies look for a get out clause when its time for them to pay out. I work for an NSI Gold company but if I installed a system in your house as a private job would I be installing it to a lower quality?

If you arent bothered about insurance discount the best company to go for is a recommended company irrespective of what governing body they do or dont belong to.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Breff right, spend the Discount on your ALARM , remeber its your house not the insurance company's, why should they tell you what you can and can't do in your own house.

If they dont like it change your insurance company.

Colin

Peter James

In his last post is correct

3) The NSI are a "not for profit" organisation and are accountable to a board of governers who are made up from the police, insurance companies, security industry, government ministers etc.

Where as the SSAIB are a LTD company (and do make a profit) and as for Mike Lynskey he move he told me due to not full time post being offered.

Richard

NSI Silver going for gold one day

www.nova-security.co.uk

www.nsiapproved.co.uk

No PMs please unless i know you or you are using this board with your proper name.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Pete T

The only thing I don't like about the new NSi set up is that if you are a small company/sole trader NSi Silver, when you go up against a NSi Gold accreddited firm, what answer do you give when the customer asks "are you not as good as a Gold member!

Pete

I had to correct it it was difficult to read I could understand people making the mistake when it was nacoss but how can you get nsi round the wrong way (unless its a typo)

Pj

• 1 month later...
Or the question we always used to ask, "If it's not a 'for-profit' company why does NACOSS have a Commercial Manager?

Whats in a name?

The only way to tell if they are or are not a non proffit making body is to look at their accounts.

The SSAIB have a "Technical Manager" when was the last time he actualy updated any members on a technical issue, at least the NSI do send out regular updates.

The SSAIB have a "PR & Marketing Manager" so why do you still have to explain the difference between the NSI and SSAIB, because the Public are simply not aware of the SSAIB as they are of the NSI.

There is good and bad in both bodies, surely it is better to support both bodies rather than to dig up the mud of the past, both bodies are here to stay and its up to both of them and the installers to shape the future of industry and not let the Police and Insurance companies dictate what we do.

Colin.

the Public are simply not aware of the SSAIB as they are of the NSI

Wrong Colin, the public are more aware of the ssaib, as oposed to the nsi.

NACOSS is the name the public are more aware of.

NACOSS is the name the public are more aware of
Exactly Nacoss Gold is the stronger brand. Everyone has to remeber that Nacoss hasn't suddenly disapeared with the NSI branding, its still there and fighting.
So few people are aware of SSAIB/NSI/NACOSS that I dont think it matters anyway.

Any info end users get will be from a surveyor and the quote.

It does matter otherwise the public will continue to buy diy alarms and systems for £199 and think they meet the requirements of their insurers. It doesn't matter what body you are in until they all work at promoting the same line, then the public will continue not to know the benefits and the Pitfalls.

Colin.

Guest Guest
Of course approval matters, but in a pile of quotes beside the arm chair the diferences between SSAIB and NSI do not matter

I agree Rich, but dont you think that both inspectorates need to do more to educate consumers as why they should have an approved alarm rather than letting insurance companies and acpo dictate this. I would also go as far as saying they could do this jointly rather than trying to be better/bigger than the other, after all are we not all trying to achieve the same thing.

Colin.

Guest Guest
The choice of contractor must remain with the consumer. Thats the first thing
I agree.
After that it is up to the industry to sort out what happens. The inspectorates can only advise consumers via installers as it is only installers who have contact with the users.

What about the Insurance co's and the Police? they all have contact.

When the surveyor is selling, he has to compete with the diy systems, the sparks and the fit fast and run brigades, so my point is that if the inspectorates did more to promote what is correct practise should be, then the surveyor only needs to sell a package that best meets the clients needs, not having to educate them too as to the problems of regulated and unregulated products.

The inspectorates could reinvest the money that they spend on trade exhibitions and roadshows on end user awareness, after all if you are in the trade wouldn't you know about the inspectorates aready.

Colin

Not if they have a joint campaign and I think the inspectorates do make enough money to afford more public advertising.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest pkh911

Hi Clare,

Phil from Sparks Security Systems in the Republic of Ireland.

Give Bob Stewart of xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx in Runcorn he used to be my business partner before I moved to Ireland. This man is passionate about quality and is SSAIB recognised. He will issue a certificate of compliance for your insurance company. If your insurance company refuse this report them to trading standards as ALL alarm companies HAVE to install to EN50131 wether they are SSAIB or NSI(NACOSS)

Best of Luck

Phil Hayes

• 8 months later...
Bigger the better ..?

B)

13128[/snapback]

Just to add my bit - NACOSS is like the "hoover" of vacuum cleaners and was more widely known to brokers. Apart from very high risk premises (and not always) the SSAIB should be on an equal footing with NSI (NACOSS). Insurance brokers very rarely know what they are talking about when it comes to security systems and they have been so used to the term "NACOSS" for so many years that they don't bother reading new memos about the new wording they are supposed to say, which is along the lines of "we will accept any alarm company as long as it is regulated by an inspectorate recognised by UKAS, of which there are only two: the NSI and the SSAIB.

As an SSAIB company this used to be a daily problem for us (stupid insurance companies causing us to lose business for no reason whatsever - clients always nearly always listen to their insurers and think that SSAIB companies are inferior), which thankfully over the last couple of years has abated.

Zak Tankel - Managing Director - Security First (UK) - www.securityfirst.uk.com

Disclaimer: Any comments or opinions expressed by me are my own as a member of the public and not of my employer or Company.

Archived