Security Installer Community

17th Eddition

Smart Electrics

Has this exercise cost any others loads to get ready for the change to 17th or is it just me being tight?

New testers, Books, Possible refresher from 16th. the list goes on. :cry:

i know how you feel mate it drives me mad too, part p was the end for me, too much red tape. its pushing most people towards cash in the hand, houses and small shops that is.

17th eddition absolute jokers 2% safty 98% incomming tax.

its getting stupid

Its a shame! I understand that progression is king but where do you draw the line. I have my NICEIC payments as well to come but Mr smith down the road would rather pay Mr Cash instead. So never really recoup the costs. It is getting harder to make a living.

by coincidence, i was in CEF's trade counter today buying more IP65 boxes and i spotted on the special offer slate

"16th edition tester"

i might be very ignorant of the sparky world being only a 12 volt cowboy" (as once described by a sparks) :rolleyes: , but i ask what earthly use will that be to anyone now the 17th is in?

if it is to anyone this was in the Basildon branch

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

by coincidence, i was in CEF's trade counter today buying more IP65 boxes and i spotted on the special offer slate

"16th edition tester"

i might be very ignorant of the sparky world being only a 12 volt cowboy" (as once described by a sparks) :rolleyes: , but i ask what earthly use will that be to anyone now the 17th is in?

Hi Alan

The testers will have to be compliant with BS standards, so should still be ok. Although no doubt someone will try and prove me wrong.

The older I get, the faster I was.

"16th edition tester"

regs

alan

12 volt cowboy :roflmao: I've never hurd that one before TOTAL QUALITY

what i would like to know is which thick, stupid, numpty, R-Sole, brian dead, der-der-der (to say the least)

changed the colours from (red yellow blue) to (brown black grey)------------BLACK AS PHASE :angry: (thats live to 12v cowboys) :roflmao:

HERE what the gonna change next :unsure: cpc to white :fear:

will we ever learn and stand against this stupid goverment in one voice and say NO :boxing:

12 volt cowboy :roflmao: I've never hurd that one before TOTAL QUALITY

this was in a building site, i'm just 18 years old and it was my 1st solo installation, as i'd just passed out as a grade 2 engineer and out on my own with all that responsibility. so i'm c0ck sure and real proud of myself, full of the joys of spring, i yell out 'Chubb Alarms Engineer' to attract the 'generals' attention above the hub bub - "watch out boys here comes the 12 volt cowboy" was the response from a very bitter sounding sparks :rolleyes: .

took the wind right out of my sales and i never forgot it :lol:

regs

alan

this was in a building site, i'm just 18 years old and it was my 1st solo installation, as i'd just passed out as a grade 2 engineer and out on my own with all that responsibility. so i'm c0ck sure and real proud of myself, full of the joys of spring, i yell out 'Chubb Alarms Engineer' to attract the 'generals' attention above the hub bub - "watch out boys here comes the 12 volt cowboy" was the response from a very bitter sounding sparks :rolleyes: .

took the wind right out of my sales and i never forgot it :lol:

regs

alan

dont worrie about it r kid one thing you will find with most sparks 90% are up there own ass, they think because there 25yrs served 16th/17th eddition JIB C corse apprentice trained ect ect-------they think nobody can tell them anything :angry: wrong.....

they picked on me once :( well !!! he did'nt do it again :bruce_h4h: "mr.sparks we are in a project at tech and im trying to find the RDS on-voltage of a 2SK135 fet, you-know-sir the ones in a TO3 package" also mr sparks whats a bios chane ???

he did'nt pick on me again.

even then, even then.......

pmsl

there was a 'sting in the tail' as always,

the job was a Japanese bank refurbishment in the City, them days the external bell on banks was always run in mineral, so i had a megga delivered with all the kit. i was initially trained by a sparks so i knew from him their favourit little party trick of charging up a long mineral and waiting for some sap to touch the wel barred ends getting a belt. they complain and the sparks shows them its no even connected - to their utter confusion.

so now can you guess what i did to the sparks minerals while he was at tea? ;) , lets say those who think they are funny, are very sarcastic and loud, can't take to being bettered with a practical joke thats for sure :) (and i thread locked his tool box pad lock for good measure (a little trick i learn't from earlier working in the garages).

regs

alan

there was a 'sting in the tail' as always,

the job was a Japanese bank refurbishment in the City, them days the external bell on banks was always run in mineral, so i had a megga delivered with all the kit. i was initially trained by a sparks so i knew from him their favourit little party trick of charging up a long mineral and waiting for some sap to touch the wel barred ends getting a belt. they complain and the sparks shows them its no even connected - to their utter confusion.

so now can you guess what i did to the sparks minerals while he was at tea? ;) , lets say those who think they are funny, are very sarcastic and loud, can't take to being bettered with a practical joke thats for sure :) (and i thread locked his tool box pad lock for good measure (a little trick i learn't from earlier working in the garages).

regs

alan

:roflmao: Quality mate

what we use to do at tech is charge up HT caps errrr about 450uF at 450v dc when someone says "hay mate catch this" your automatic reaction is to catch it, oh god do they belt ya :fear:

what we use to do at tech is charge up HT caps errrr about 450uF at 450v dc when someone says "hay mate catch this" your automatic reaction is to catch it, oh god do they belt ya :fear:

:lol:

as kid my brother and me used to get those real large electrolytic's out of the Tvs. for those who don't know they don't like ac or reversal very much, so we used to wire them up to a car battery and switch on = loud bang and a snow storm of soot.

we'd strap this to our borrow and let it off ina market, or place it under somebodies car, once we put it in the exhaust pipe, then watched the owner run round in sheer panic :P

agreed it was a tad dangerous, but then i was only 8 years old so knew no better.

these days i'd be classed a terrorist :lol:

regs

alan

I took a big PF cap out of a flourscent at college, wrapped two bits of wire round it connected to either side, charged it with the megger and threw it to someone saying "catch" and PMSL when they got a tickle.

Getting cocky I removed the discharge resistor and charged it up, testing it myself I almost killed myself!!!! The discharge resistor was extremley high value meaning it discharged slowly, without it fitted it discharged fully in micro seconds, OUCH!

I tried again after my "recovery" and it put out a whacking great blue spark with a scary "crack!" when discharged.

I haven't ever tried that again!! In more then 20+ years!!!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

I took a big PF cap out of a flourscent at college, wrapped two bits of wire round it connected to either side, charged it with the megger and threw it to someone saying "catch" and PMSL when they got a tickle.

Getting cocky I removed the discharge resistor and charged it up, testing it myself I almost killed myself!!!! The discharge resistor was extremley high value meaning it discharged slowly, without it fitted it discharged fully in micro seconds, OUCH!

I tried again after my "recovery" and it put out a whacking great blue spark with a scary "crack!" when discharged.

I haven't ever tried that again!! In more then 20+ years!!!!

yah electrolytics can be dam dangerous :yes: i think the lttle devil comes out in us all now and again,,,,,,,,,What i have always wanted to try is mains straight in a 35 amp bridge rectifire and then straight in a 12v 1 farrard cap (1,000,000uf) and then turn it up slowly on a variac :slackjaw1: OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO //.B.W.F.// "would ya dare :sofa1:

if you want a gentler safer giggle, older mains kit like Hi Fi amps often retain a lot of power in the smoothing caps, these caps are a lot larger than normal as no 'buff' wants to hear any hum and the speakes draw a lot of current when responding to bass notes.

so often if you unplug it then stick the plug prongs on your apprentices elbow (with the switch on), the discharge path is made and the caps discharge into the transformer which is then stepped up by it to say 100 volts - so lift off is guaranteed!

when i worked in the garages as akid, one of the 'old boy' mechanics would wait until you got too close and grab a HT lead on a running motor with one hand - and your ear lobe with the other and would not let go of either - and you lot have no need to wonder why i seem a bit mad :wacko:

:P

regs

alan

if you want a gentler safer giggle, older mains kit like Hi Fi amps often retain a lot of power in the smoothing caps, these caps are a lot larger than normal as no 'buff' wants to hear any hum and the speakes draw a lot of current when responding to bass notes.

so often if you unplug it then stick the plug prongs on your apprentices elbow (with the switch on), the discharge path is made and the caps discharge into the transformer which is then stepped up by it to say 100 volts - so lift off is guaranteed!

when i worked in the garages as akid, one of the 'old boy' mechanics would wait until you got too close and grab a HT lead on a running motor with one hand - and your ear lobe with the other and would not let go of either - and you lot have no need to wonder why i seem a bit mad :wacko:

:P

regs

alan

Mischief night when i was a kid, mad on electronics, i use to nick those flashing road lamps, the ones with 2x 6v batteries and little pnp circuit to make the bulb flash, with an old car coil i made a little circuit that Oscillated the car coil, on the HT side we connected a long wire wraped it around a door landle and then we use to knock on the door and just wait for the screem at the other side :roflmao: my mum battered me :( god man what a laugh, made me popular tho, god man them were the days.

Archived