Security Installer Community

Master Sockets

toenee

Is there any disadvantage of using master sockets instead of secondary sockets apart from cost. I have a 2 pair cable that I would like to put two lines down this would normally be done with 2, 2 pair cables but to run another cable would be very difficult I would connect to the two bt sockets and then use master sockets at the other end of the cable. Also are you allowed to run pbx cables and bt cables from there master socket down a multi pair backbone cable.

does this make sence?

Is there any disadvantage of using master sockets instead of secondary sockets apart from cost. I have a 2 pair cable that I would like to put two lines down this would normally be done with 2, 2 pair cables but to run another cable would be very difficult I would connect to the two bt sockets and then use master sockets at the other end of the cable. Also are you allowed to run pbx cables and bt cables from there master socket down a multi pair backbone cable.

does this make sence?

not really going to be a big deal as these days phones work on MFT (i.e. tone) dialing, older handsets used 'pulse disconnect' dialing. some modern handsets don't like to work properly if they don't have the 3rd (BC) wire.

internet should not be affected as long as you fit filters to any handset outlet

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Also are you allowed to run pbx cables and bt cables from there master socket down a multi pair backbone cable?

Probably not, at least not to do it yourself. It will offend something in the rules of BT, the relevant Acts or your agreement with them.

The whole idea is that the cabling up to the master socket is BT's and no-one else messes with it. After the master socket (and it's components which are important) you can plug in extension cabling.

Moving the master socket by whatever means is, I believe, a job for BT only. :ninja:

not really going to be a big deal as these days phones work on MFT (i.e. tone) dialing, older handsets used 'pulse disconnect' dialing. some modern handsets don't like to work properly if they don't have the 3rd (BC) wire.

Internet should not be affected as long as you fit filters to any handset outlet

regs

alan

Hi alan what sort of problems do the new phones have when they are connected by master socket and not secondary I thought they got the bell voltage from master socket The reason I ask is that I have had problems with some Dect phones being very quiet not bt ones but the smooth looking ones! you see all that glistens is not gold

Do you know any problems with putting all the signals down one back bone cable?

Probably not, at least not to do it yourself. It will offend something in the rules of BT, the relevant Acts or your agreement with them.

The whole idea is that the cabling up to the master socket is BT's and no-one else messes with it. After the master socket (and it's components which are important) you can plug in extension cabling.

Moving the master socket by whatever means is, I believe, a job for BT only. :ninja:

thanks for the reply I did not intend to move or reconect any of bt's cables only the ones from the plug in part of the bt master socket the other master sockets would be fitted by me I'm often asked to clean up/hide telephone cables for customers but alway connect in to the plug in part of the nt5 socket

thanks for the reply I did not intend to move or reconect any of bt's cables

OK, I see; didn't quite understand ;) . So why use master sockets at the end?

I remember a few years ago that for some reason I had some small original-type master sockets (pre-NTE5 type) so I just unsoldered the components and then used them as extensions. Only took a few seconds.

does this make sence?

If you had two master points in series it would still work, however the signal to "ring" may be slightly delayed as the extra capacitor charges, ie. you may miss one ring. Most modern phones that run off of a transformer adaptor don't use the BT ring signal to ring the phone, they just sense the signal, so that sort would be ok for sure.

As AA said, you can remove components, just clip one lead to the big yellow capacitor that should do the trick.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

Archived