Security Installer Community

21 Cn

I have been called out to a couple of monitored customers who are having comms problems. we have changed a few pcb's but are still getting the same problems. our customers are getting anoyed with us but we are trying to prove that its not our fault but the fault of a third party. how do other people sort this out ?

Trade Member

It's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice!!

Martin Hanfo

CCTV - Intruder Alarms - Access Control - Security Lighting - Locks

Covering South Wales

07903 967045

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have been called out to a couple of monitored customers who are having comms problems. we have changed a few pcb's but are still getting the same problems. our customers are getting anoyed with us but we are trying to prove that its not our fault but the fault of a third party. how do other people sort this out ?

i assume the problem is with didgicoms.

BT exchanges run a regular tests on all pstn lines to pre-em'pt fault calls, this can cause line fault errors, so contact BT and ask for the line fault auto testing to be removed from the affected lines

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

would these tests be random or scheduled? because some of our customers report having itermittent faults and others are random

cheers

Trade Member

Martin Hanfo

Covering South Wales

07903 967045

would these tests be random or scheduled? because some of our customers report having itermittent faults and others are random

cheers

tends to be at a regular ish! time but may not every day. so might depend on the size of the exchange as to how often the tests are run.

get onto bt faults in that area and ask is best

unless set to high security line faults should not cause alarms when set, but local bleep or int sounders when unset. the panel log should give you the times the fault occurs, and if in fact it is a line fault that was detected. setting the clock accurately will make zeroing in easier.

some panels allow you to alter the 'fault window' perammeter, if so an option is to increase the delay before a line fault is actually signaled, obviously depends on the type of job you protecting if this is prudent.

regs

alan

Martin,

Be sure to update us when you figure out what has been causing the problems. Also, it would be interesting to find out how easy (or difficult) it is to update the 21CN guys at BT so that they can enter your case into their database of known issues. This will affect the failure rate statistics on which many in the security industry are keeping a watchful eye :1eye:

You didn't say whether your customers were experiencing line faults or failure to communicate ???

Free Alarm Monitoring over the Internet from IP Alarms

only line faults, the panel i use only shows a line fault if the voltage is missing for more than 10 seconds. when i go out to the site the system will communicate with G4 no problem at all.

Trade Member

Martin Hanfo

Covering South Wales

07903 967045

only line faults, the panel i use only shows a line fault if the voltage is missing for more than 10 seconds. when i go out to the site the system will communicate with G4 no problem at all.

you could actually have an intermittent line,

take a decent butt or wired bog standard handset with you to site or get the client to plug one in, make a call to the office tell them to be quiet and listen carefull for say 5 minutes for interference (crackle and pop's).

another option, if they have another line swap it over for 14 days or for a period more than you have problems, if all go's quiet then the line is likely the problem

may not be using a snotty nosed calibrated meter method - but it's well worth a go and what i would do :)

regs

alan

• 1 month later...

Archived