Security Installer Community

Dynamic Open Ports

justin

Hi.

I wonder if someone can clear a few things up for me out there.

I have a handfull of cctv sites employing Adpro fasttrace units. All sites have a static IP connection.

They are setup to a remote monitoring site, ports 15000-15200 forwarded on the local netgear router. All fine.

I can go to any of the sites and view other sites no problem. For the Adpro client software to work I have to also forward the ports at the recieving end to the PC. Something I don't normally have to do with normal cctv Dvr's.

I would like to view/test these installations from home. I am currently on a dynamic connection with orange and it will not allow me to. Are these ports closed to me? Are these ports always open on a static IP? ( which I can't get from orange).

I Know if I get a static IP from BT I can solve this but would not really want to go down that route as it would cost me more every month.

I have also been told that these ports would be open on a BT dynamic connection is this true or even possible?

Many thanks in advance

Justin

open port check tool

can be used to check your current ports...

There is a wealth of information on this website that you may find helpful.

Can't speculate on BT's availability but we are LLU with Beunlimited and all is fine, we can connect ok.

Be Unlimited

hope this helps

TSS

Communication is "A question asked, and an Opinion given." I offer mine to help you with yours.

Statements I make are my personal views only at the time they are posted, if I offend you sorry, must be taken in context and do not neccesarily represent those of my employer.

Hi.

I wonder if someone can clear a few things up for me out there.

I have a handfull of cctv sites employing Adpro fasttrace units. All sites have a static IP connection.

They are setup to a remote monitoring site, ports 15000-15200 forwarded on the local netgear router. All fine.

I can go to any of the sites and view other sites no problem. For the Adpro client software to work I have to also forward the ports at the recieving end to the PC. Something I don't normally have to do with normal cctv Dvr's.

I would like to view/test these installations from home. I am currently on a dynamic connection with orange and it will not allow me to. Are these ports closed to me? Are these ports always open on a static IP? ( which I can't get from orange).

I Know if I get a static IP from BT I can solve this but would not really want to go down that route as it would cost me more every month.

I have also been told that these ports would be open on a BT dynamic connection is this true or even possible?

Many thanks in advance

Justin

Hi Justin, either you or I am confused as what you describe doesn't appear normal.

ISP's often/usually block a small number of OUTGOING ports to stop email spam by forcing you to send email through their email servers and authenticating before you do so.

Port forwarding on a router is normally used to allow INCOMING traffic on a particular port to be passed on (and presumably replied to) a device behind the firewall, often using a different port, e.g. incoming port 8000 goes to port 80 on a web server.

Whether you, the remote viewer, has a fixed or static IP address should be irrelevant.

If you are having to forward ports at the viewing end this sounds a bit strange, unless your CCTV setup does things differently to what I've met before.

Maybe your router is forwarding/mapping port numbers both incoming and outgoing. Is this normal for commercial CCTV?

If it is, and that is normal, you need to check with Orange if they block those ports in their network or on any router they provide you.

Finally, have you tried testing with your local firewalls (windows and/or router) turned off, it could just be being blocked locally by your systems.

Thanks for your replies. Your right it's not normal to have to forward ports at the receiving end with most cctv products, only the Adpro stuff so far that I have come across.

I have tried to contact orange about it but you can only imagine how painfull it was for me to get my point across.

I think it must be the case that the ports are closed on my service. I'll try with orange again. I'm just tied to them for quite a few months yet.

Again thanks for your help.

I have tried to contact orange about it but you can only imagine how painfull it was for me to get my point across.

I'll try with orange again.

I wouldn't even have tried the first time to be honest................(been there, done that, never again) :ninja:

What router have you got at home - an Orange Livebox? You can actually get into them and reconfigure.

I would seriously doubt they are blocking the ports in their network, so try another router (with port forwarding configured) AND as noted before check if your firewall is adding to the problem.

I wouldn't even have tried the first time to be honest................(been there, done that, never again) :ninja:

What router have you got at home - an Orange Livebox? You can actually get into them and reconfigure.

I would seriously doubt they are blocking the ports in their network, so try another router (with port forwarding configured) AND as noted before check if your firewall is adding to the problem.

cheers.

I have a netgear range max and the ports are definetly forwarded and setup correctly just the same way I have done at the other customer sites where they wanted to connect.

Archived