Security Installer Community

Fire/intruder

Guest Cerberus NI
Have just taken over a site with two Menvier M12 Smoke Detectors connected, programmed as Fire. Is it right or wrong for them to signal to C/S and the Fire Brigade to be called.

The brigade certainly won't like it!!!!In my previous employ with another multi-national they went through a phase (a short lived one mind!) of protecting commercials and offices with smoke detection using the intruder panel.I was asked would this be acceptible to the brigade and would it come under an L or P category system!!!After explaining that the guys in the white and yellow hats like to see a fire panel with zones and nice shiny sounders ringing throughout the guy went a little on the pale side (a LOT of older buildings had had smoke detection put in to this spec).

You can use an intruder system with smoke detectors in certain categories of part 6 but Im not near my lappy and Im in a hotel drinking Magners at the moment - so you understand my reluctance!

• 4 weeks later...

I belive the following is now the way of it all ! If you wish to have monitoring with fire brigade responce through you intruder system, the fire signal must be from a dedicated fire control panel output.

You can have some detectors on your intruder system, however if they are monitored they must not have brigade responce.

Key holders responce only.

I belive this is true. However if anyone knows better please let us all know.

Regards Bob.

• 2 months later...

Weve recently upgraded NSI for fire alarms and now have to use a dedicated piece of signalling to send Fire and Mains fail/fault on 2 seperate channels. Its a bit of a bugger really because its fitted after the lads have installed it and as our panels are not big enough we have to fit a seperate psu which sometimes makes it all a mess but gueess its the way it goes.

Imo the fire and security systems should be seperate so that the fire & security companies cant blame each other for faults.

lee

Lee Sutton

E-Mail: leesutton@centurianfire.co.uk

Phone: 0845 094 9870

CENTURIAN FIRE & SECURITY (part of centurian group limited)

Archived