Security Installer Community

Cctv Over Cat5 Using Balluns

Mike J

All good info guys, thanks for your help.

I tested continuity on each pair and there are no cable shorts from that, all continuity is there and working well. I took care not to bend the cables!!!

Each camera uses a dedicated pair so we are within the green-white/green spec for each unit.

The DVR inputs all work, I tested each input with a working camera.

I can only assume that wiring via a junction box is the killer. I will try the other cameras on the working baluns to see if there is any joy but I think my solution is to coax the cameras right up to the main Cat5 and then attach the balluns at this point. In this way, I am taking the junction termination out of the equation.

I will let you know how I go!!!

Guest anguscanplay

I`m simple ( yeah shut up at the back) but if the idea of a balun is to balance / unbalance the signal surely the jointbox is going to kill it - unless each core is exactly the same length and still got the same number of twists etc so my question

what happens if you stick the adaptor and monitor at the JB ?

edit - just seen thats what your going to do next (sorry Mike)

I`m simple ( yeah shut up at the back) but if the idea of a balun is to balance / unbalance the signal surely the jointbox is going to kill it - unless each core is exactly the same length and still got the same number of twists etc so my question

what happens if you stick the adaptor and monitor at the JB ?

edit - just seen thats what your going to do next (sorry Mike)

i would have run them in rg59 to the JB[external cat 5], then fitted the baluns there.

IMO joining cat 5 is always trouble, even when feeding a couple of cams off a cat 5 i have installed, i always just snip the pair i want out letting the others just carry on through.

• 2 weeks later...
All good info guys, thanks for your help.

I tested continuity on each pair and there are no cable shorts from that, all continuity is there and working well. I took care not to bend the cables!!!

Each camera uses a dedicated pair so we are within the green-white/green spec for each unit.

The DVR inputs all work, I tested each input with a working camera.

I can only assume that wiring via a junction box is the killer. I will try the other cameras on the working baluns to see if there is any joy but I think my solution is to coax the cameras right up to the main Cat5 and then attach the balluns at this point. In this way, I am taking the junction termination out of the equation.

I will let you know how I go!!!

This may seem simple but you did have the polarity correct we have used cheap ones in the past they seem to work as well as coax but with out the earth problems a little pointer here if you use nvt gear some of it wouldn't work on dvr's the picture was b/w it was designed for American tv standards it worked on tape video mactines?

• 2 weeks later...

Just to give you all some closure on this one!!! It was all pretty much my fault.

Went back to the install and firstly got rid of the junction box from the equation, took all of the cameras using coax to the main cable and connected to the balluns at that point.

Also, where the cable comes into the DVR, I stripped it back beyond the point where I had previously stripped the cable and made sure there were no kinks in it.

It now all works beautifully.

Note to all Cat5/Ballun users.......signal is lost if the cable is scored, I thought I had done a pretty clean strip of the cable but where my cutters hadf scored the internal pairs, the signal was lost. The pairs were not shorted at all, just scored!!! Anyway, take the scoring out of the equation and it all works!!!

I am a happy bunny as things could have been a lot worse!!!

Thanks for all of your valuable input men.

Archived