Security Installer Community

Send Power Thru Coax

jezf

alan is this the sort of adapter i need:

http://www.svideo.com/500024.html

if so, how do i attach the 2 core power of this adapter to the circular power cable on the camera?

to be honest this sort of question should be asked of your vendor,

you can get the baluns over hear with the right plug on them, otherwise at the camera end, either you cut off the plug on the camera and connect with terminal block to the balun (easy but this option may void your warranty if it go's wrong), or buy the correct socket from maplins and solder it on the lose ends. you can buy the plugs ready soldered with a plug/socket then you join with terminal block. i recommend cover with self amalgamating tape to keep out damp or better use a small weatherproof box.

either way you go we are talking 12dc or 24ac volts NOT lethal potential 240 volts ac mains voltages

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

I don't know if this complicates things but what about composite cable? As thick as an 8core alarm cable with a screened coax and a couple of wires for power and telemetry, all within the outer sleeve.

The only 2 problems I can think of with this type of cable is, No1, price. It's not cheap. And No2, terminating the coax as this part of the cable is so small.

Or failing that, although not made for the job, standard 8 core alarm cable will give you several meters before picture degredation becomes noticable. I know you CCTV guys are sat there nodding your heads from side to side but for very short cable runs, it can be a viable option.

ACE.gif

im not so sure about using alarm cable for cctv video wther screened or not, i still say do it correctly first time coax with bnc's or cat 5 with baluns cheers

"If you carry your childhood with you, you never become old. Why rush to end life when happiness is in the blissfulness of childhood innocence."

"We all die, the goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will."

im not so sure about using alarm cable for cctv video wther screened or not, i still say do it correctly first time coax with bnc's or cat 5 with baluns cheers

alarm cable will work for short distances but more likely to allow interference in from passing cars or electrical switching.

i've use the composite cable, very useful but simply not for the novice or the faint hearted to terminate

regs

Alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Guest anguscanplay
alarm cable will work for short distances but more likely to allow interference in from passing cars or electrical switching.

regs

Alan

weve got those little systemq jobbies running over 90m with no problems on screened cable - but if I was doing it again I would use composite

dont forget the volt drop if your using CAT-5, 12vdc will suffer more than 24vac. measure your cable runs! it may be to much for 3x cameras over one power supply pair (brown/brown white) and you may overload your psu.

It may be better to run the signals (up to 4) over NVT/CAT-5 and run a seperate low volt feed. say using "cctv-1" power cable or evan 6 or 8 core with the cores twisted to lower the voltdrop over the one core.

POIP (power over ip) routers use massive supplies to push power over the cat_5 network but have to be bigger due to the power loss. loner cable run - bigger volt-drop.

Archived